Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Jon Eaves
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      Here are my experiences.

      Without going into the specifics too deeply, we ran an internal project
      that started as a co-located agile team, that was to be distributed later.

      Approximately 70% of the iterations were done at Site 1, and the remaining
      30% of the iterations were done split between Site 1 and Site 2. Site 2
      contained the development team, with the BA, Testing and Customer Proxy at
      Site 1.

      The team members did not change significantly during the course of the
      project. There was the standard Person X on holiday, and Person Y left
      the company, but nothing more than you'd expect, and none of it was part
      of the split (ie, they occured either before, or overlapped).

      After the project team split, we had significantly lower velocity,
      significantly higher defects, significantly less adherence to quality
      standards and practices and longer times to rectify these issues.

      When I'm talking significantly, I'm talking 50%+ additional worsening
      to these factors.

      There are some factors to this, such as lack of support and experience
      for Site 2, but that would involve duplication and additional cost.

      There is no doubt in my mind that co-location is the cheapest and most
      effective means of performing any software development activity. As
      soon as you split the team, you are adding cost and delays. There are
      things you can do to mitigate the additional costs and delays, but it
      will always be more costly, and take longer.

      This is real world experience. I hope that helps.

      Cheers,
      -- jon

      --
      Jon Eaves <jon@...>
      http://www.eaves.org/blog/
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)