Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 1, 2008
      Ken,

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Boucher" <yahoo@...>
      wrote:

      > > Is it your belief that there are "way too many people
      > > answering..."? Do you have facts to back this up? I honestly
      > > couldn't tell you how many projects the average person works on...
      > > do you know? I would be interested. I know I haven't worked on
      > > that many myself.
      >
      > Question #15. What is the success rate for agile teams with an
      > offshoring/outsourcing element? (Some team members are at a different
      > location which would require significant travel to get to)
      >
      > Decide for yourself how many projects that fit that description does
      > someone have to have been involved in order to accurately answer that
      > question from experience.
      >
      > Now how many people have you met here or at any other forum or
      > conference or read about who have that level of experience? I'd love
      > to hear an answer from Ron or Alistair on that one. (Heck, I would
      > think Alistair would know all the people by name.)
      >
      > Now look at the raw CSV data for that question. How can so many people
      > have that direct experience, participate in an online survey, and not
      > be represented in comparable numbers here, in conferences, or in
      > publication?
      >
      > It beggars belief to think the survey is measuring people's direct
      > experience and not their opinion. The words "reasonable doubt" and
      > "Occam's Razor" leap to mind. The disparity between the level of
      > experience required and the level of experience shown everywhere but
      > the survey is simply too great for those numbers to be considered to
      > be based on experience.

      So your conclusion from the survey is that a great number of people
      believe that co-location brings a higher success rate, whether they
      personally experience other environments or not.

      What do you think causes people to believe that? Are they all drinking
      the same Kool-Aid or are they all reading the same industry magazines or
      are they all just making the same assumptions? Something is causing
      people to believe this... finding that cause might be interesting.

      Matt
    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)