Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Ken Boucher
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 1, 2008
      > In DDJ's 2008 Agile Adoption Survey, see
      > http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/agileFebruary2008.html , we
      > actually explored this issue. We found that:
      > - Co-located agile teams had a 83% success rate
      > - Near-located agile teams had a 72% success rate
      > - Far-located agile teams had a 60% success rate

      > Also, I just wanted to point out the value provided by surveys (or
      > better yet other forms of research for that matter). Instead of
      > having a religious-based discussion we can now have a fact-based
      > one.

      Let's look at this a bit closer.

      Here are the three questions:
      What is the success rate for co-located agile teams?
      What is the success rate for agile teams that are not co-located?
      What is the success rate for agile teams with an
      offshoring/outsourcing element?

      The possible answers are breakouts for every 10% as well as N/A and
      Don't Know.

      Ok. So we're not cearly asking about the person's direct observations
      with the team(s) they're associated with. In fact, with the phrasing
      of the question and the width of the answer base, we're wide open to
      their beliefs (see "religious based discussion"). How can we determine
      the accuracy of these answers?

      First, to have any direct experience, one would have had to work with
      enough agile projects under a single category to provide an accurate
      percentage. If a person only worked with two, three, or even four
      agile projects they wouldn't have the full range of breakouts the
      question asks for. To go further, if they were expressing their direct
      experience for multiple categories, they would have to have an
      incredible amount of direct experience, the kind I wouldn't expect
      from anyone less than a consultant with more frequent flier miles than
      Amelia Earhart.

      Or, what we could be asking them by what their beliefs and opinions
      are (see "religious based discussion"). If so, then I can see people
      responding to two or three of the questions easily enough.

      Decide for yourself if that seems like a reasonable position before
      going on.

      So, let's pull up the CSV file and toss it into Open Office (or Excel)
      and take a look.
      http://www.ambysoft.com/downloads/surveys/AgileAdoption2008.csv

      Looking at the CSV file, the one thing I can tell is that (in my
      opinion) we cannot possibly be talking about direct experience here.
      There are simply way too many people answering all three questions for
      me to think they are providing anything other than their opinions and
      beliefs.

      So, I'm sorry, but no. This survey does make this a fact-based
      discussion, because as far as I can see, it's simply a measurement
      based on a large number of beliefs and opinions. All the survey has
      done is gathered more opinions, averaged them out, and then masked it
      as legitimate factual data.
    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)