Re: [XP] Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • Scott Ambler
    Message 1 of 471 , Aug 1, 2008
      In DDJ's 2008 Agile Adoption Survey, see
      http://www.ambysoft.com/surveys/agileFebruary2008.html , we actually
      explored this issue. We found that:
      - Co-located agile teams had a 83% success rate
      - Near-located agile teams had a 72% success rate
      - Far-located agile teams had a 60% success rate

      Co-located == everyone in same room
      Near-located == You could get together relatively easily if you had
      to, but some people could be in cubes/offices, on different floors,
      in different buildings (but close by), or working from home
      Far-located == planes would be involved to get people together

      We also discovered that a fair number or organizations are not doing
      agile in a co-located manner, something we should all observe with
      interest.

      Not surprisingly, there appears to be a bit of a risk premium when
      you distribute people. To address this risk your best strategy is
      not to take it on in the first place. Failing that you need to apply
      more sophisticated processes (see
      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler for several blog
      postings on this subject) and more sophisticated tooling.

      Also, I just wanted to point out the value provided by surveys (or
      better yet other forms of research for that matter). Instead of
      having a religious-based discussion we can now have a fact-based one.

      - Scott
      Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Rational
    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)