Re: [XP] Re: Collocated vs Dispersed...which is better?

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 471 , Jul 31, 2008
      Joseph Little wrote:

      >> I think it depends a lot on the need for innovation, the extent to
      >> which ...
      >>

      > What is "it"? Or, why does it depend? If you mean collocation is
      > even more valuable in those circumstances, I think I agree.

      Sorry; I meant the productivity boost from collocation would vary
      significantly based on those factors. In certain circumstances, I could
      imagine it would be minimal; for some circumstances, radically higher
      than 2x.

      >> Here you lost me. If to them "better" means something other than
      >> productive, then why are you focusing on productivity?
      >>

      > Simple. I am trying to help them see things they are overlooking
      > (they are overlooking productivity because they don't know how to
      > measure it). And I think that is the first and most important thing
      > (assuming some other factors are reasonable). ...Also, as I said a
      > bit later in that post, even if better were "employee satisfaction", I
      > think collocation should win.

      That seems reasonable.

      I have the most luck getting people to adopt a suggested path when it
      solves some problem they already think they have, and in a way in line
      with their values. If they aren't thinking much about productivity, then
      it can be worth raising. But if they still don't care much about it,
      then I've never found words to change that.

      It was a shock to me when I first realized it, but there are some teams
      that really don't care about productivity, or if they do, it's pretty
      far down on their list of values. For those teams, Agile methods may not
      be a good match.

      William

    • Keith Ray
      Message 471 of 471 , Sep 8, 2008
        By the way, "Classes" and "Objects" referring to patterns of
        electrical charges in modern day CPU and Memory chips (or past and
        future equivalents) is a metaphor too.

        --
        C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
        http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)