Ann: NUnit 2.5 Alpha 3 Is Out

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hi All,

      Although this is still an alpha-level release, NUnit 2.5 Alpha-3 contains
      enough new features that we think it will be of interest to a wider
      audience than the two earlier alphas. As always, it isn't advisable to
      commit yourself to alpha features for production work, but since this
      release will install side-by-side with whatever release you already use, we
      hope you'll give it a try - and give us some feedback.

      The Alpha 3 release is version 2.5.0.8189 of NUnit. The installation allows
      you to choose to install it for either .NET 1.1 or 2.0. The complete
      install includes both.

      Because there are so many changes, I'm including only an outline below. For
      details, see the release notes at http://nunit.org/? p=releaseNotes&r=2.5 as
      well as the appropriate sections of the documentation. You can download the
      release at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nunit.

      Charlie

      Major Changes from NUnit 2.4.7 to NUnit 2.5

      General
      Combined install for 1.1 and 2.0
      Includes pNUnit for parallell distributed testing
      New version numbering scheme
      VS2008 project included with source

      Generic Support
      Generic Test Fixtures
      Generic Test Methods
      All Assserts and constraints work with nullable types
      Many asserts and constraints use generic syntax

      Parameterized Tests (with arguments)
      TestCaseAttribute
      FactoryAttribute
      TestFactoryAttribute
      ValuesAttribute
      RangeAttribute
      RandomAttribute
      CombinatorialAttribute
      PairwiseAttribute (NYI)
      SequentialAttribute

      New Asserts and Constraints
      Is.SamePath constraint
      Is.SamePathOrUnder constraint
      DirectoryAssert and constraints
      Assert.Throws
      Assert.DoesNotThrow
      Throws.Exception constraint
      Throws.Nothing constraint
      Assert.Pass
      Assert.Inconclusive
      Assert.IsOrdered
      Is.Ordered constraint

      Other Framework Changes
      Static test, setup and teardown methods
      Test methods may return a value
      RequiredAddinAttribute
      PlatformAttribute("Vista")
      PlatformAttribute("Win2008Server")

      Console Runner
      Summary report provides more information
      Removed /transform option

      Gui Runner
      Default display uses a single text output tab
      More detailed summary report
      Non-runnable tests shown in red
      Inconclusive tests shown in orange
      Properties that are collections now list contents

      Extensibility
      TestCaseProviders extension point (ITestCaseProvider)
      DataPointProviders extension point (IDataPointProvider)
      ValuesAttribute is extensible without writing an addin