Re: [XP] Re: Agile Management

  • Nina Niskanen
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 2, 2008
      2008/7/2, Chris Wheeler <christopher.wheeler@...>:

      > Very thoughtful observation, Robert... having studied martial arts, I am
      > often puzzled by this, too. Concepts like enlightenment, discipline,
      > meditation, peacefulness, etc are what people seem to allude to when making
      > analogies between MA and agile development, but these things are not unique
      > to MA, nor are they common to all MA, nor are they necessary to the
      > successful practice of MA. One can get all those things from religion,
      > pottery, woodworking, baseball, or any other activity that requires
      > progression and mastery.

      Absolutely. And if you go to any tech conference and ask anyone who's
      ever tried or studied martial arts to raise their hand, you'll see a
      lot of hands come up. To me at least it seems that there's an
      unusually high amount of martial artists among people in IT compared
      to people outside IT.

      People use analogies to things they know (or at least think they know)
      and think that their audience might relate to. In an international
      forum something like baseball doesn't really translate and something
      like pottery, woodworking or knitting will be a little marginal.

      Nina
      --
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 7, 2008
        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
        wrote:

        > Be that as it may, I don't recall any posts here that have had the
        > violence side in mind. The mind set, and the "deflective" character
        > of Aikido, yes. Violence ... I'm not seeing that.

        No, me neither, it was mainly me thinking out loud and pushing on a whole
        bunch of different ways to view the analogy.

        Chris.