Re: [XP] Re: Agile Management

  • David Carlton
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 2, 2008
      On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:47:02 -0000, "Matt" <maswaffer@...> said:
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Nina Niskanen"
      > <nina.niskanen@...> wrote:

      >> The lesson for agile development as I see it is this; the angry man
      >> (the customer) wanted a fight. He deliberately went looking for it. If
      >> it hadn't been with the person telling the story (the waterfall
      >> development team), it would have been with the police or rent-a-cop or
      >> similar. The person telling the story was ready and eager to give it
      >> to him. But instead the old man (the agile development team) saw that
      >> what the angry man needed more than a fight was a friendly face to
      >> talk to. It may not solve all his problems, but it did solve the most
      >> urgent (the one with the most return-on-investment) one.

      > If that's the lesson... why wouldn't "offering a friendly face" fix
      > waterfall? I think that's what puzzles Robert (and I) about some of
      > these analogies.

      > Maybe by "offering a friendly face" you really mean "offering to address
      > the most pressing concern that the customer has". We used to do that at
      > a waterfall shop I worked at... we ended up with a bunch of rivulets
      > running parallel, none of them offering a whole lot of value and all of
      > them running behind.

      It sounds like you weren't fixing the most pressing concern: it sounds
      to me like you started to fix a bunch of concerns that were pressing
      at the time, but didn't actually figure out which was the most
      pressing or finish fixing any of them.

      So, I guess, "offering to address the most pressing concern" is a good
      start, but you need to follow up and actually succeed at addressing
      the concern in some concrete way.

      David Carlton
      carlton@...
    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 7, 2008
        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
        wrote:

        > Be that as it may, I don't recall any posts here that have had the
        > violence side in mind. The mind set, and the "deflective" character
        > of Aikido, yes. Violence ... I'm not seeing that.

        No, me neither, it was mainly me thinking out loud and pushing on a whole
        bunch of different ways to view the analogy.

        Chris.