Re: [XP] Re: Agile Management

  • Chris Wheeler
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 2 9:53 AM
      On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Robert Biddle <Robert_Biddle@...>
      wrote:

      > I've always been puzzled by the connection some people see between
      > agile development and martial arts. These items don't seem to help my
      > understanding. It still seems to concern getting ones own way, and
      > arranging that
      > someone else does not get their way.
      >
      > How does that relate to agile development?

      Very thoughtful observation, Robert... having studied martial arts, I am
      often puzzled by this, too. Concepts like enlightenment, discipline,
      meditation, peacefulness, etc are what people seem to allude to when making
      analogies between MA and agile development, but these things are not unique
      to MA, nor are they common to all MA, nor are they necessary to the
      successful practice of MA. One can get all those things from religion,
      pottery, woodworking, baseball, or any other activity that requires
      progression and mastery.

      The thing people forget about martial arts is that in *every* shape and
      form, pain is used to control another person. Whether through a punch to the
      face, kick to the groin, or careful manipulation of a joint, the physical
      aspects of MA's is always present and taught to be useful in certain
      situations. I've taken aikido, and it's damned painful...

      Oddly, though, we never use analogies such as 'agile is like a well placed
      elbow to the nose...'

      Chris.

    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 7 7:20 AM
        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
        wrote:

        > Be that as it may, I don't recall any posts here that have had the
        > violence side in mind. The mind set, and the "deflective" character
        > of Aikido, yes. Violence ... I'm not seeing that.

        No, me neither, it was mainly me thinking out loud and pushing on a whole
        bunch of different ways to view the analogy.

        Chris.