[XP] Re: Agile Management

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 2, 2008
      Nina,

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Nina Niskanen"
      <nina.niskanen@...> wrote:

      > 2008/7/2, Robert Biddle Robert_Biddle@...:
      <snip/>
      > The lesson for agile development as I see it is this; the angry man
      > (the customer) wanted a fight. He deliberately went looking for it. If
      > it hadn't been with the person telling the story (the waterfall
      > development team), it would have been with the police or rent-a-cop or
      > similar. The person telling the story was ready and eager to give it
      > to him. But instead the old man (the agile development team) saw that
      > what the angry man needed more than a fight was a friendly face to
      > talk to. It may not solve all his problems, but it did solve the most
      > urgent (the one with the most return-on-investment) one.
      >
      > Nina
      > --
      > I reject your reality and substitute my own.

      If that's the lesson... why wouldn't "offering a friendly face" fix
      waterfall? I think that's what puzzles Robert (and I) about some of
      these analogies.

      Maybe by "offering a friendly face" you really mean "offering to address
      the most pressing concern that the customer has". We used to do that at
      a waterfall shop I worked at... we ended up with a bunch of rivulets
      running parallel, none of them offering a whole lot of value and all of
      them running behind.

      What actually happened in the story is the man diverted the attention of
      the customer (drunk) from what he *thought* he wanted to what he really
      needed. Is that Agile?

      Interesting stuff... I don't mind the martial arts analogies though...
      at least they aren't old Star Trek movie analogies :)

      Matt
    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 7, 2008
        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
        wrote:

        > Be that as it may, I don't recall any posts here that have had the
        > violence side in mind. The mind set, and the "deflective" character
        > of Aikido, yes. Violence ... I'm not seeing that.

        No, me neither, it was mainly me thinking out loud and pushing on a whole
        bunch of different ways to view the analogy.

        Chris.