Re: [XP] Re: Agile Management

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 2, 2008
      On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Nina Niskanen <nina.niskanen@...> wrote:
      > 2008/7/2, Robert Biddle <Robert_Biddle@...>:
      >

      >> Even the linked story about the subway car seems to show that
      >> compassion and listening was an alternative to fighting. Cool. But at
      >> the end, the angry man still had his problems. What really changed?
      >
      > He got what he needed most at the moment and not what he really tried to
      > get.
      >
      >> What was the lesson for agile development?
      >
      > The lesson for agile development as I see it is this; the angry man
      > (the customer) wanted a fight. He deliberately went looking for it. If
      > it hadn't been with the person telling the story (the waterfall
      > development team), it would have been with the police or rent-a-cop or
      > similar. The person telling the story was ready and eager to give it
      > to him. But instead the old man (the agile development team) saw that
      > what the angry man needed more than a fight was a friendly face to
      > talk to. It may not solve all his problems, but it did solve the most
      > urgent (the one with the most return-on-investment) one.

      Nicely put, Nina. Let me add:

      In software development, there is no reliable way to solve all the
      problems ("there are no silver bullets").

      We can pretend to be able solve all the problems with a grand design
      only to watch things unravel later much of the time (Waterfall), or we
      can get real and just iteratively solve the highest priority remaining
      problem (Agile).

      Steve

      > Nina
      > --
      > I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 7, 2008
        On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...>
        wrote:

        > Be that as it may, I don't recall any posts here that have had the
        > violence side in mind. The mind set, and the "deflective" character
        > of Aikido, yes. Violence ... I'm not seeing that.

        No, me neither, it was mainly me thinking out loud and pushing on a whole
        bunch of different ways to view the analogy.

        Chris.