Re: [XP] Re: Extreme Programming Explained (a review)

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Matt wrote:
      > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
      > on software remotely related to business applications.
      >
      > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
      > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
      > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
      > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

      Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.

      - George

    • Mukesh Kumar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Can anybody give me information or document related to How to use
        X-Planner?

        Give me some flow diagram to understand this tool.

        With best Regards,

        Mukesh

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          George,

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
          wrote:

          > Matt wrote:
          > > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
          work
          > > on software remotely related to business applications.
          > >
          > > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
          makes
          > > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
          > > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
          your
          > > carefully defined realm of knowledge.
          >
          > Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
          >
          > - George

          You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
          most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.

          I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
          did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
          compiles... has made this guy..."

          Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

          Matt
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            Matt wrote:
            > George,
            >

            > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
            > wrote:
            >> Matt wrote:
            >>> Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
            > work
            >>> on software remotely related to business applications.
            >>>
            >>> Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
            > makes
            >>> you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
            >>> afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
            > your
            >>> carefully defined realm of knowledge.
            >> Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
            >>
            >> - George
            >

            > You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
            > most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.
            >
            > I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
            > did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
            > compiles... has made this guy..."
            >
            > Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

            Thanks. :-)

          • Marty Nelson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              I found his style somewhat amusing, even though his take on XP was,
              at times, misguided if not inaccurate. It's hard to tell with such
              heavy sarcasm...

              On another post, I found this telling gem:

              "And it's not like I haven't been burnt by low-level bugs. Oh, I had
              that. Right before deadlines. Weekends of fun."

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...>
              wrote:

              > This came across my inbox this morning:
              >
              > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
              >
              > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
              with
              > no real intention of implementing it, would see.
              >
              > --
              > Cory Foy
              > http://www.cornetdesign.com
              > http://www.agileflorida.com

            • Keith Sterling
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                I have a set of Powerpoint training slides I produced for a couple of
                clients which have a step by step screen shot guide

                Email me directly as its close to 7MB and I'll send you a copy

                keith

                Keith Sterling Bsc(Hons) CEng MBCS CITP

                Development Management, Technical Architecture
                Agile Coaching & Mentoring
                Keith Sterling Consulting Services Ltd

                Tel: +44 (0) 560 113 0920
                Fax: +44 (0) 560 113 0919
                Mob: +44 (0) 7771 597630
                Email: keith@...
                MSN: keiff@...
                Skype: keiffster
                http://www.keithsterling.com

                Company Number : 04959190
                VAT Number : 832-3382-42

              • Amanda Abelove
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                  Xplanner is pretty cool. I do my user stories in Case Complete when I do
                  product planning and then paste the ID number and intro text into Xplanner.
                  I make the iteration/release ID in Case Complete match the ID in Xplanner. I
                  keep my Case Complete files in a directory in Subversion so when the team
                  wants to work on an item related to a story, they get the reference ID in
                  Xplanner and go and look at the reports to see documentation by
                  iteration/release.

                  Contact me offlist with any questions. This list isn't about how to handle
                  technical product documentation.