Re: Extreme Programming Explained (a review)

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      Matt wrote:

      > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
      > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
      > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
      > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

      I look forward to pairing with him on that...
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Matt wrote:
        > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
        > on software remotely related to business applications.
        >
        > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
        > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
        > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
        > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

        Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.

        - George

      • Mukesh Kumar
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Can anybody give me information or document related to How to use
          X-Planner?

          Give me some flow diagram to understand this tool.

          With best Regards,

          Mukesh

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            George,

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
            wrote:

            > Matt wrote:
            > > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
            work
            > > on software remotely related to business applications.
            > >
            > > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
            makes
            > > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
            > > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
            your
            > > carefully defined realm of knowledge.
            >
            > Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
            >
            > - George

            You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
            most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.

            I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
            did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
            compiles... has made this guy..."

            Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

            Matt
          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              Matt wrote:
              > George,
              >

              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
              > wrote:
              >> Matt wrote:
              >>> Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
              > work
              >>> on software remotely related to business applications.
              >>>
              >>> Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
              > makes
              >>> you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
              >>> afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
              > your
              >>> carefully defined realm of knowledge.
              >> Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
              >>
              >> - George
              >

              > You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
              > most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.
              >
              > I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
              > did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
              > compiles... has made this guy..."
              >
              > Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

              Thanks. :-)

            • Marty Nelson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                I found his style somewhat amusing, even though his take on XP was,
                at times, misguided if not inaccurate. It's hard to tell with such
                heavy sarcasm...

                On another post, I found this telling gem:

                "And it's not like I haven't been burnt by low-level bugs. Oh, I had
                that. Right before deadlines. Weekends of fun."

                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...>
                wrote:

                > This came across my inbox this morning:
                >
                > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
                >
                > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
                with
                > no real intention of implementing it, would see.
                >
                > --
                > Cory Foy
                > http://www.cornetdesign.com
                > http://www.agileflorida.com

              • Keith Sterling
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                  I have a set of Powerpoint training slides I produced for a couple of
                  clients which have a step by step screen shot guide

                  Email me directly as its close to 7MB and I'll send you a copy

                  keith

                  Keith Sterling Bsc(Hons) CEng MBCS CITP

                  Development Management, Technical Architecture
                  Agile Coaching & Mentoring
                  Keith Sterling Consulting Services Ltd

                  Tel: +44 (0) 560 113 0920
                  Fax: +44 (0) 560 113 0919
                  Mob: +44 (0) 7771 597630
                  Email: keith@...
                  MSN: keiff@...
                  Skype: keiffster
                  http://www.keithsterling.com

                  Company Number : 04959190
                  VAT Number : 832-3382-42

                • Amanda Abelove
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Xplanner is pretty cool. I do my user stories in Case Complete when I do
                    product planning and then paste the ID number and intro text into Xplanner.
                    I make the iteration/release ID in Case Complete match the ID in Xplanner. I
                    keep my Case Complete files in a directory in Subversion so when the team
                    wants to work on an item related to a story, they get the reference ID in
                    Xplanner and go and look at the reports to see documentation by
                    iteration/release.

                    Contact me offlist with any questions. This list isn't about how to handle
                    technical product documentation.