Re: [XP] Re: Extreme Programming Explained (a review)

  • Thomas Eyde
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      It amazed me the most, how he concluded that "competent and social" ==
      mediocre. In his mind, apparently, skill is a binary value.

      --
      Thomas

      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Matt <maswaffer@...> wrote:

      > Cory,
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Cory Foy <usergroup@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > This came across my inbox this morning:
      > >
      > > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
      > >
      > > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
      > with
      > > no real intention of implementing it, would see.
      > >

      > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
      > on software remotely related to business applications.
      >
      > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
      > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
      > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
      > carefully defined realm of knowledge.
      >
      > Matt

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Matt wrote:

        > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
        > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
        > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
        > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

        I look forward to pairing with him on that...
      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Matt wrote:
          > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
          > on software remotely related to business applications.
          >
          > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
          > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
          > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
          > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

          Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.

          - George

        • Mukesh Kumar
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            Can anybody give me information or document related to How to use
            X-Planner?

            Give me some flow diagram to understand this tool.

            With best Regards,

            Mukesh

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
              George,

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
              wrote:

              > Matt wrote:
              > > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
              work
              > > on software remotely related to business applications.
              > >
              > > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
              makes
              > > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
              > > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
              your
              > > carefully defined realm of knowledge.
              >
              > Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
              >
              > - George

              You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
              most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.

              I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
              did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
              compiles... has made this guy..."

              Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

              Matt
            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                Matt wrote:
                > George,
                >

                > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
                > wrote:
                >> Matt wrote:
                >>> Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
                > work
                >>> on software remotely related to business applications.
                >>>
                >>> Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
                > makes
                >>> you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
                >>> afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
                > your
                >>> carefully defined realm of knowledge.
                >> Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
                >>
                >> - George
                >

                > You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
                > most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.
                >
                > I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
                > did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
                > compiles... has made this guy..."
                >
                > Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

                Thanks. :-)

              • Marty Nelson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I found his style somewhat amusing, even though his take on XP was,
                  at times, misguided if not inaccurate. It's hard to tell with such
                  heavy sarcasm...

                  On another post, I found this telling gem:

                  "And it's not like I haven't been burnt by low-level bugs. Oh, I had
                  that. Right before deadlines. Weekends of fun."

                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...>
                  wrote:

                  > This came across my inbox this morning:
                  >
                  > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
                  >
                  > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
                  with
                  > no real intention of implementing it, would see.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Cory Foy
                  > http://www.cornetdesign.com
                  > http://www.agileflorida.com

                • Keith Sterling
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                    I have a set of Powerpoint training slides I produced for a couple of
                    clients which have a step by step screen shot guide

                    Email me directly as its close to 7MB and I'll send you a copy

                    keith

                    Keith Sterling Bsc(Hons) CEng MBCS CITP

                    Development Management, Technical Architecture
                    Agile Coaching & Mentoring
                    Keith Sterling Consulting Services Ltd

                    Tel: +44 (0) 560 113 0920
                    Fax: +44 (0) 560 113 0919
                    Mob: +44 (0) 7771 597630
                    Email: keith@...
                    MSN: keiff@...
                    Skype: keiffster
                    http://www.keithsterling.com

                    Company Number : 04959190
                    VAT Number : 832-3382-42

                  • Amanda Abelove
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                      Xplanner is pretty cool. I do my user stories in Case Complete when I do
                      product planning and then paste the ID number and intro text into Xplanner.
                      I make the iteration/release ID in Case Complete match the ID in Xplanner. I
                      keep my Case Complete files in a directory in Subversion so when the team
                      wants to work on an item related to a story, they get the reference ID in
                      Xplanner and go and look at the reports to see documentation by
                      iteration/release.

                      Contact me offlist with any questions. This list isn't about how to handle
                      technical product documentation.