Extreme Programming Explained (a review)

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
      This came across my inbox this morning:

      http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html

      It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP, with
      no real intention of implementing it, would see.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Cory,

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...>
        wrote:

        > This came across my inbox this morning:
        >
        > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
        >
        > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
        with
        > no real intention of implementing it, would see.

        Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
        on software remotely related to business applications.

        Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
        you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
        afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
        carefully defined realm of knowledge.

        Matt
      • Thomas Eyde
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          It amazed me the most, how he concluded that "competent and social" ==
          mediocre. In his mind, apparently, skill is a binary value.

          --
          Thomas

          On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Matt <maswaffer@...> wrote:

          > Cory,
          >
          > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Cory Foy <usergroup@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > This came across my inbox this morning:
          > >
          > > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
          > >
          > > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
          > with
          > > no real intention of implementing it, would see.
          > >

          > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
          > on software remotely related to business applications.
          >
          > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
          > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
          > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
          > carefully defined realm of knowledge.
          >
          > Matt

        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            Matt wrote:

            > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
            > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
            > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
            > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

            I look forward to pairing with him on that...
          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
              Matt wrote:
              > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't work
              > on software remotely related to business applications.
              >
              > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably makes
              > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
              > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside your
              > carefully defined realm of knowledge.

              Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.

              - George

            • Mukesh Kumar
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                Can anybody give me information or document related to How to use
                X-Planner?

                Give me some flow diagram to understand this tool.

                With best Regards,

                Mukesh

              • Matt
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
                  George,

                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Matt wrote:
                  > > Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
                  work
                  > > on software remotely related to business applications.
                  > >
                  > > Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
                  makes
                  > > you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
                  > > afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
                  your
                  > > carefully defined realm of knowledge.
                  >
                  > Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
                  >
                  > - George

                  You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
                  most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.

                  I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
                  did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
                  compiles... has made this guy..."

                  Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

                  Matt
                • George Dinwiddie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Matt wrote:
                    > George,
                    >

                    > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >> Matt wrote:
                    >>> Or the opinion of a very smart but arrogant programmer who doesn't
                    > work
                    >>> on software remotely related to business applications.
                    >>>
                    >>> Writing drivers and compilers etc for embedded systems probably
                    > makes
                    >>> you think you are smarter than everyone else. And less social. And
                    >>> afraid of any change that means you have to learn anything outside
                    > your
                    >>> carefully defined realm of knowledge.
                    >> Matt, I think you have unfairly maligned embedded and tool developers.
                    >>
                    >> - George
                    >

                    > You are right. I work with one who happens to be one of the nicest and
                    > most sociable guys I have ever met. And smart at the same time.
                    >
                    > I certainly didn't mean to over-generalize but that's exactly what I
                    > did. I should have qualified that by saying that "writing drivers and
                    > compiles... has made this guy..."
                    >
                    > Thanks for pointing out the error there George.

                    Thanks. :-)

                  • Marty Nelson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                      I found his style somewhat amusing, even though his take on XP was,
                      at times, misguided if not inaccurate. It's hard to tell with such
                      heavy sarcasm...

                      On another post, I found this telling gem:

                      "And it's not like I haven't been burnt by low-level bugs. Oh, I had
                      that. Right before deadlines. Weekends of fun."

                      wrote:

                      > This came across my inbox this morning:
                      >
                      > http://www.yosefk.com/blog/extreme-programming-explained.html
                      >
                      > It seems to be what I would imagine anyone first coming across XP,
                      with
                      > no real intention of implementing it, would see.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Cory Foy
                      > http://www.cornetdesign.com
                      > http://www.agileflorida.com

                    • Keith Sterling
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                        I have a set of Powerpoint training slides I produced for a couple of
                        clients which have a step by step screen shot guide

                        Email me directly as its close to 7MB and I'll send you a copy

                        keith

                        Keith Sterling Bsc(Hons) CEng MBCS CITP

                        Development Management, Technical Architecture
                        Agile Coaching & Mentoring
                        Keith Sterling Consulting Services Ltd

                        Tel: +44 (0) 560 113 0920
                        Fax: +44 (0) 560 113 0919
                        Mob: +44 (0) 7771 597630
                        Email: keith@...
                        MSN: keiff@...
                        Skype: keiffster
                        http://www.keithsterling.com

                        Company Number : 04959190
                        VAT Number : 832-3382-42

                      • Amanda Abelove
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7, 2008
                          Xplanner is pretty cool. I do my user stories in Case Complete when I do
                          product planning and then paste the ID number and intro text into Xplanner.
                          I make the iteration/release ID in Case Complete match the ID in Xplanner. I
                          keep my Case Complete files in a directory in Subversion so when the team
                          wants to work on an item related to a story, they get the reference ID in
                          Xplanner and go and look at the reports to see documentation by
                          iteration/release.

                          Contact me offlist with any questions. This list isn't about how to handle
                          technical product documentation.