Re: [XP] Follow up to Leverage on a Team

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2008
      Hi Ron,

      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > I've been away. Remind me: where did these dates come from that the
      > team aren't hitting? Are they really the team's dates? Are they
      > using scope management to hit them? Since this director is acting as
      > Product Owner (not obviously a good idea?) is he perhaps putting on
      > too much pressure to do what he wants rather than what can and
      > should be done?

      The dates are given by the team usually. They are responsible for
      discussing with the customer, estimating the tasks, and coming up with a
      date. He did say there are some projects which come with a somewhat
      built in date (if we can make these changes in 30 days, we can save 500k
      as a company), but he said that is less than once a quarter that happens.

      I really don't get the impression that he puts pressure on what he
      wants. The team sounds like it has a lot of leeway. His comment to me
      was just that he didn't realize how un-agile they were until he started
      reading the User Stories and Scrum books.

      > It sure sounds, with the 60 hour thing, that this organization /may/
      > not be doing Agile as I understand it. Agreed it is a different
      > department, but is this director contaminated with the 60 hour
      > culture?

      They aren't. The director wants them to be, because he thinks it will
      help. The problem, I think was that you can't just go in and "be agile"
      - you have to know what you are trying to do.

      I happened to be reading a companion guide to the One Minute Manager
      over the weekend and they talked about PRICE - Pinpoint, Review,
      Involve, Coach, Evaluate. I think he is at the stage where he needs to
      pinpoint what it is he wants changed, and what he hopes to gain by
      changing it. I think he hoped the team itself would be disciplined
      enough to be able to self-inspect and adapt.

      And I don't think he's contaminated. I think he gets it from his bosses
      who have golfing buddies who have teams that work 60 hours. However,
      this director does come from an military background, so self-discipline
      and continuous improvement are just a part of who he is, and, I think,
      something he subconsciously expected from his team.

      I do hope he takes my advice and jumps in with some of the practices as
      a kind of spike to see if it does improve things, and I also hope that
      the teams get to drive that out.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com