Re: [XP] [ANN] Managers and Minions or Talent and Admins

  • Steve Ropa
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
      I would agree with your assessment. I would argue that its part of ³growing
      up² as a company though. Some of the controls become necessary to satisfy
      the investors. Its ugly, but its true. Now, you also put the
      Sarbanes-Oxley monster into the mix. Then there¹s the problem that the
      founder/owner ends up having to be in a hundred places at once. Happily,
      most of the experiences I¹ve had have been that the folks who started
      working directly with the founder/owner are still able to, they just end up
      having others reporting to them.

      We can be truly Agile even within these management structures. The trick,
      and its hard, is to make sure to stay dedicated to that, and to make sure
      your leadership stays dedicated to it as a mind-set. As you say, the
      challenge is in the transition. I just started as development director at a
      company that has had less success then they¹d like in that transition. The
      gentleman who hired me said that the reason he chose me is that he wants me
      to help them turn that around. Here¹s hoping!

      Steve