Re: [XP] Lack of communication cost 1.4 billion dollars

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 18, 2008
      John Roth wrote:
      > After looking at this thread for a while, I'm wondering
      > why one question hasn't been asked:
      >
      > How hard would it have been to get that piece of
      > information into the formal flow?
      >
      > That's not rhetorical. My suspicion is that suggestions
      > from the field probably have to go through a lengthy
      > process of being vetted before getting into the procedure
      > manuals. If that is indeed the case I'm not only not
      > surprised that this one didn't make it, but I'd expect that
      > it isn't an isolated case.

      Bingo. In a learning environment where mistakes need to be able to be
      made, there should also be a stop the line mentality that doesn't
      require huge hoops to get vital information into the flow.

      In a recent article, Mitch Lacey discusses a failed demonstration that
      might have been different had the participants in the stand-up meeting
      asked a fourth question: "How confident from 1-10 are you that we will
      succeed":

      http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/95-fourwarned-is-forearmed

      --
      Cory Foy