Re: [XP] What types of organisations adopt agile approaches to software development?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      On May 30, 2008, at 02:24 , Amanda Abelove wrote:
      > Sounds complicated. Agile and Scrum are about making money for the
      > company,
      > either by helping free up resources to take advantage of new
      > opportunities,
      > or reduce overhead spent on useless IT projects. Any company that is
      > spending too much money on useless IT projects wants a product that
      > will
      > help it not waste money.

      Agile is about returning the focus to streams of realizable business
      value, whatever that means: additional revenue streams, improved
      revenue streams, earlier realization of revenue, reduced costs,
      shorter payback periods, and more.
      > Most companies end up wasting money implementing Agile and Scrum
      > processes.
      > As products on the whole, Agile and Scrum have a very high field
      > failure
      > rate. If they were children's toys, they'd have been recalled by now.

      Compared to what?
      > So,.. The question isn't who wants to adopt them, but who will spend
      > money
      > to adopt them and why do they still believe despite empirical
      > evidence that
      > Agile and Scrum are not successful products?

      Compared to what?
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        On May 29, 2008, at 13:59 , Ant Grinyer wrote:
        > Having worked in software development for over 15 years in many
        > organisations using different development methodologies such as
        > waterfall, RUP, SCRUM and XP, I'm still not sure if there is a
        > specific `type' of organisation that is more likely to adopt
        > agile approaches than others?

        I can interpret your question at least two ways, and I'd like to know
        what you meant when you asked it.

        One interpretation, "Is there a specific type of organization more
        likely to attempt to adopt agile approaches?"

        Another: "Is there a specific type of organization more likely to reap
        benefit (by their measure) from agile approaches?"

        I don't want to look for a third interpretation. :)
        ----