Re: [XP] Re: Trust in Software Development

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2008
      On May 29, 2008, at 09:32 , S M Kripanidhi wrote:
      > We are sure missing a lot of boats if we as a community (in Agile) do
      > not trust one another and keep raising concerns and apprehensions of
      > how each one of us can be working at cross-purpose in fooling each
      > other and taking the community and industry for a ride.

      I see a difference between wanting to build trust-based relationships
      and trusting everyone all the time. There are some people I do not
      trust, and I do not do business with them, except in those cases where
      I believe the lack of trust does not represent an obstacle. I do,
      however, build trust in relationships where our endeavor needs that
      trust to succeed.

      So I believe I can hold the agile values while not trusting everyone.
      I show congruency by recommending against low-trust projects that
      depends on trust to succeed.
      > If that is true, how are we different in Agile and why do you think
      > then Agile can be better than IID in a CMMi environment. Is doing
      > Incremental and Iterative Software Development Agile ? You can do IID
      > formally under a CMMi or a DOD environment easily.

      I believe that agile specializes IID, so certainly one can do IID
      without being agile.
      > We should be able to show case to the world that we are different in
      > that we have values in the community that makes us more credible and
      > trustworthy to deliver the right value at the right time to our
      > customers faster, cheaper and better.

      I believe that in those situations where we have enough confidence and
      self-esteem, we do that now, and we improve steadily.
      > I have also promised Mark on another forum that I will refrain from
      > criticizing CSM and its rationale anymore. So some boats are missing.

      I do not trust the CSM certification program, which is why I do not
      maintain my CSM certification nor did I advertise my certification for
      the year that I had it. I also did not pay for my certification. I
      believe this example matches my earlier statements.

      Take care.
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice