Story Point Estimates

  • jhrothjr
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2008
      Here's a very recent study that supports the notion that estimating is
      naturally logarithmic rather than linear. If anyone is collecting
      studies supporting various XP practices, this might fit.

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080529141344.htm

      John Roth
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2008
        Hello, jhrothjr. On Friday, May 30, 2008, at 4:26:13 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Here's a very recent study that supports the notion that estimating is
        > naturally logarithmic rather than linear. If anyone is collecting
        > studies supporting various XP practices, this might fit.

        > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080529141344.htm

        It is interesting. The study does seem to be of a very numerically
        unsophisticated culture. But still interesting.

        it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
      • John Roth
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2008
          > Hello, jhrothjr. On Friday, May 30, 2008, at 4:26:13 PM, you
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Here's a very recent study that supports the notion that estimating is
          >> naturally logarithmic rather than linear. If anyone is collecting
          >> studies supporting various XP practices, this might fit.
          >
          >> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080529141344.htm
          >
          > It is interesting. The study does seem to be of a very numerically
          > unsophisticated culture. But still interesting.

          Boston is numerically unsophisticated? (Note the piece on the end
          about validating the study in Boston). [grin]

          John Roth

          > Ron Jeffries
          > www.XProgramming.com
          > It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare,
          > it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca

        • J. B. Rainsberger
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2008
            On May 30, 2008, at 15:26 , jhrothjr wrote:

            > Here's a very recent study that supports the notion that estimating is
            > naturally logarithmic rather than linear. If anyone is collecting
            > studies supporting various XP practices, this might fit.
            >
            > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080529141344.htm

            Over short distances/ranges, what's the difference? Log, linear,
            exponential, it's all the same. All the more reason narrow ranges are
            key.
            ----
            Your guide to software craftsmanship
            2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice