Re: WeVouchFor (was Re: [XP] Community Certified Agile Practitioner (CCPA))

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 102 , May 30, 2008
      Hi Ron,

      > I'm troubled already by a spate of vouchers stating that Joe Smith
      > is capable in skill Mumble because I, Suzy Brown, taught him in my
      > course.

      Could you point to an example ? I couldn't find one.

      In a sense that is already a success: we've gathered some actual data
      from running WeVouchFor, and we're learning that people are entering
      some certifications that we consider "good" and some that we consider
      "bad". If nothing else, we've honed our judgement.

      The next step would be to figure out how you can say "I'm troubled" to
      the system, rather than to me.

      I'm going to assume (maybe rashly) that in time you would be one of
      the people accumulating a number of certifications attesting to your
      skills in XP. The fact that you're troubled about a certification
      would therefore have some weight, and if we could have the system take
      that into account when distinguishing "good" certs from "bad" certs we
      would have a way to address your concerns.

      Now, on some of the specifics:

      > First, taking a course doesn't qualify people for much. That is the
      > issue that some of us have with the CSM, for example.

      "Not much" is different from "not at all", and to the extent that
      we're recording things about people that tell us whether they're
      qualified, I'd rather record even small things, on the reasoning that
      it's better to know these things than not to know.

      What I've had in mind for a while is to annotate a certification with
      the length, and perhaps the intensity, of the association. So, for
      Suzy to remember enough about Joe that she'll actually endorse him as
      a result of the course tells us a little about Joe; it probably tells
      us less than if someone endorses Joe who's spent weeks or months
      working besides him.

      > Second, it seems to me to be rather blatantly self-promoting on the
      > part of Suzy.

      That depends on the exact statement. If I'm seeing twenty identical
      endorsements "Joe understands Scrum" by Suzy each time she finishes
      teaching a course, then I know she's not really basing her statements
      on evidence. That's self-promotion, but more importantly abuse of the
      system, and the system should be designed to be self-correcting in the
      presence of abuses.

      If Suzy can remember, after a course, twenty particular facts that
      make her think Joe, Jane, Jill and so on each in their own way
      deserves some recognition for having gotten something specific out of
      the course, then she's well entitled to any self-promotion that results.

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 102 of 102 , Jun 2, 2008
        On Jun 1, 2008, at 22:35 , Amanda Abelove wrote:
        > Like oDesk?

        I didn't know about oDesk until eight seconds ago when I googled it
        for the first time. Interesting. I've been using elance.com. I have
        signed up at oDesk in case I want to try it out sometime. Thanks for
        the tip.
        ----
        Your guide to software craftsmanship
        2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice