Re: [XP] How to measure agile projects reliability

  • Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2008
      I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and probable future behavior
      after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
      In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl are doing?

      /Mamun

      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2008
        How about "working software"?

        Thank you,

        Mike

        On May 2, 2008, at 7:01 AM, "Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun"
        <mamun222@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Can you please give me some idea about the current practice of
        > Reliability Measurement in agile/eXtreme development.
        >
        > i have listed some possible ways:
        >
        > 1. Test Coverage (i.e higher percentage = higher reliability)
        > 2. Applying Software Reliability Growth Models (like Goel, Yamada etc)
        > 3. Classical Operational-Profile/User-story
        >
        > Eagerly waiting for your valuable replies.
        >
        > Thank You.
        >
        > /Mamun
        > Student, MSc in Soft Eng
        > BTH,Sweden

      • Steven Gordon
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2008
          On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
          <mamun222@...> wrote:

          > I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes
          > there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of
          > Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the
          > testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and
          > probable future behavior
          > after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no
          > practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
          > In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my
          > problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl
          > are doing?

          What bad things would happen if you applied the traditional SRGM to
          the working software delivered after each iteration?

          I would think you would just get more data points, so I am puzzled by
          why this would be bad? If the "growth pattern" is different for
          iterative projects, could you just take this difference into account?

          Perhaps, it would be too much work to do this every 2 weeks? Could
          you find ways to automate the majority of the work so that most of the
          additional work each iteration would just be doing something for only
          the new pieces of functionality? Could you integrate this into
          something like FitNesse so that developers, customers, management and
          other stakeholders can monitor the progress?

          > /Mamun

        • Steven Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2008
            On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
            <mamun222@...> wrote:

            > I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes
            > there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of
            > Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the
            > testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and
            > probable future behavior
            > after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no
            > practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
            > In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my
            > problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl
            > are doing?

            I've never heard of SRGMs. It is not a mainstream technique - there
            isn't even a wikipedia article on it, only a smattering of academic
            articles. The best summary I could find was
            http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/6017897-Rc1ams/

            From what I understand, these models leverage the traditional end of
            development "QA" step to get baseline measurements, from which a
            longer-term model can be extrapolated.

            It would not be applied in an Agile project unless the client attached
            specific *value* to the SRGM. In that case, we could certainly take
            measurements at whatever points the models preferred.

            That said, you would have to be careful before applying a standard
            model. They were developed using data from projects that "tested
            quality in". Agile techniques focus on "building the quality in", and
            so may exhibit different characteristics.

            --
            Steve Campbell
            http://blog.perfectapi.com/