Re: [XP] How to measure agile projects reliability

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2008
      I think we may still be confused about what you are looking for.

      Are you interested in the reliability of the software being produced
      or the reliability of the project to produce the desired software?

      If you are interested in reliability of the software, are you
      interested in uptime or the chance of the system presenting incorrect
      information or the chance of the system being hacked or what?

      How do non-agile projects do what you are asking about? Do those
      approaches really work in practice or just provide evidence that the
      project team took reasonable measures to address reliability problems?

      On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
      <mamun222@...> wrote:

      > Thank you Mr. John Roth and D. André Dhondt. I have already searched a
      > number of research databases but found a little work on Certification
      > Reliability Estimation/Prediction (ofcourse we can say this formal) of agile
      > development.
      > I have a little idea what people are doing in the real world regarding this
      > issue and waiting for other peoples here.
      >
      > /Mamun

    • Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2008
        I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and probable future behavior
        after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
        In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl are doing?

        /Mamun

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2008
          How about "working software"?

          Thank you,

          Mike

          On May 2, 2008, at 7:01 AM, "Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun"
          <mamun222@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Can you please give me some idea about the current practice of
          > Reliability Measurement in agile/eXtreme development.
          >
          > i have listed some possible ways:
          >
          > 1. Test Coverage (i.e higher percentage = higher reliability)
          > 2. Applying Software Reliability Growth Models (like Goel, Yamada etc)
          > 3. Classical Operational-Profile/User-story
          >
          > Eagerly waiting for your valuable replies.
          >
          > Thank You.
          >
          > /Mamun
          > Student, MSc in Soft Eng
          > BTH,Sweden

        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2008
            On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
            <mamun222@...> wrote:

            > I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes
            > there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of
            > Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the
            > testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and
            > probable future behavior
            > after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no
            > practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
            > In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my
            > problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl
            > are doing?

            What bad things would happen if you applied the traditional SRGM to
            the working software delivered after each iteration?

            I would think you would just get more data points, so I am puzzled by
            why this would be bad? If the "growth pattern" is different for
            iterative projects, could you just take this difference into account?

            Perhaps, it would be too much work to do this every 2 weeks? Could
            you find ways to automate the majority of the work so that most of the
            additional work each iteration would just be doing something for only
            the new pieces of functionality? Could you integrate this into
            something like FitNesse so that developers, customers, management and
            other stakeholders can monitor the progress?

            > /Mamun

          • Steven Campbell
            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2008
              On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Md. Abdullah-Al-Mamun
              <mamun222@...> wrote:

              > I am talking about the developed software. In case of non-agile processes
              > there exists good tools in the market those deal with around a dozen of
              > Software Reliability Growth Model (based on the failure data from the
              > testing phase). These model can predict the current reliability level and
              > probable future behavior
              > after product release. (Its true, these certification reliability is no
              > practiced by mass organizations but good companies do this)
              > In agile the testing phase is not linear like non-agile, there is my
              > problem to apply traditional SRGM. So i like to know what agile/eXtreme ppl
              > are doing?

              I've never heard of SRGMs. It is not a mainstream technique - there
              isn't even a wikipedia article on it, only a smattering of academic
              articles. The best summary I could find was
              http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/6017897-Rc1ams/

              From what I understand, these models leverage the traditional end of
              development "QA" step to get baseline measurements, from which a
              longer-term model can be extrapolated.

              It would not be applied in an Agile project unless the client attached
              specific *value* to the SRGM. In that case, we could certainly take
              measurements at whatever points the models preferred.

              That said, you would have to be careful before applying a standard
              model. They were developed using data from projects that "tested
              quality in". Agile techniques focus on "building the quality in", and
              so may exhibit different characteristics.

              --
              Steve Campbell
              http://blog.perfectapi.com/