Re: [XP] Design phase

  • Israel Antezana
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2008
      The design is done during the whole project, not at the begining of the iteration, but you can have lets say a fifteen minute meeting for design when you want to start the development of a new feature. The design is done every minute while programming, refactoring, driving the code by tests, etc.

      Regards,

      Israel Antezana R.

      I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:
      How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
      during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?
      Thanks!

      Yahoo! Deportes Beta
      ¡No te pierdas lo último sobre el torneo clausura 2008! Entérate aquí http://deportes.yahoo.com
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2008
        a_ouadjaout wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:
        > How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
        > during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?

        You might find http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/designDead.html
        helpful for further reading.

        - George

      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2008
          relateness wrote:

          > I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:

          Define new? are you trying to learn it, or do you have an XP-style team
          going?

          > How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
          > during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?

          Design emerges as a combination of these points. Each is very brief, but we
          generally do it at the best time in the cycle for its full effect. Only the
          * items are not optional:

          - discuss the requirements* with the onsite customer
          - discuss and _lightly_ plan engineering tasks with a pair
          - sketch the existing design, and add the new feature
          - write unit tests* for each engineering task
          - write code* to pass the tests
          - refactor* the code to merge the new feature in
          - integrate* continuously and force others to use the code
          - review the new code with others

          The individual steps of design - the steps that design books might lead you
          to think must happen in big batches - get smeared out through all that. Is
          the code simple? Is any line begging for removal? Is the code's structure so
          obvious you could pick it up from reading the test cases? Could anyone on
          the team sketch the design?

          All that is why we say design "emerges". It grows organically, over time,
          with pruning.

          --
          Phlip
        • Snikerz standard