Re: [XP] Design phase

  • Chet Hendrickson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2008
      Hello a_ouadjaout,

      In XP design should take place throughout a features developmental life. Some amount design takes place when the team estimates the feature. A little design may take place during the iteration planning meeting, although some teams get carried away. We recommend starting each pair-programming session with a quick design session. TDD is a actually more about design than testing.

      I guess the bottom line is that a team doing XP is always designing.

      chet

      --
      Best regards,
      Chet mailto:lists@...

    • Daniel Pupek
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2008
        I second that....there is design value in everything. When you're estimating
        stories you are designing. When you write acceptance tests you are
        designing. When you write unit tests you are designing. When you are coding
        you are designing.

        For me I find the design value in EVERYTHING and latch onto it. Don't write
        tests just to say you have tests use them as a design tool. Don't estimate
        just to get estimates uses the planning as a design tool.

        Dan

        On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Chet Hendrickson <lists@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello a_ouadjaout,
        >
        > In XP design should take place throughout a features developmental life.
        > Some amount design takes place when the team estimates the feature. A little
        > design may take place during the iteration planning meeting, although some
        > teams get carried away. We recommend starting each pair-programming session
        > with a quick design session. TDD is a actually more about design than
        > testing.
        >
        > I guess the bottom line is that a team doing XP is always designing.
        >
        > chet
        >
        > Friday, May 2, 2008, 7:03:59 AM, you wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all,
        > > I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:
        > > How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
        > > during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?
        > > Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > Best regards,
        > Chet mailto:lists@... <lists%40hendricksonxp.com>

        Checkout my blog @ http://blog.agilejedi.com
        Checkout my homepage @ http://www.agilejedi.com

      • Israel Antezana
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2008
          The design is done during the whole project, not at the begining of the iteration, but you can have lets say a fifteen minute meeting for design when you want to start the development of a new feature. The design is done every minute while programming, refactoring, driving the code by tests, etc.

          Regards,

          Israel Antezana R.

          I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:
          How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
          during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?
          Thanks!

          Yahoo! Deportes Beta
          ¡No te pierdas lo último sobre el torneo clausura 2008! Entérate aquí http://deportes.yahoo.com
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2008
            a_ouadjaout wrote:
            > Hi all,
            > I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:
            > How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
            > during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?

            You might find http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/designDead.html
            helpful for further reading.

            - George

          • Phlip
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2008
              relateness wrote:

              > I'm new to XP, so I have a basic question:

              Define new? are you trying to learn it, or do you have an XP-style team
              going?

              > How can I organize the design of the requested features ? Is it done
              > during pair programming ? Or is it at the beginning of the iteration ?

              Design emerges as a combination of these points. Each is very brief, but we
              generally do it at the best time in the cycle for its full effect. Only the
              * items are not optional:

              - discuss the requirements* with the onsite customer
              - discuss and _lightly_ plan engineering tasks with a pair
              - sketch the existing design, and add the new feature
              - write unit tests* for each engineering task
              - write code* to pass the tests
              - refactor* the code to merge the new feature in
              - integrate* continuously and force others to use the code
              - review the new code with others

              The individual steps of design - the steps that design books might lead you
              to think must happen in big batches - get smeared out through all that. Is
              the code simple? Is any line begging for removal? Is the code's structure so
              obvious you could pick it up from reading the test cases? Could anyone on
              the team sketch the design?

              All that is why we say design "emerges". It grows organically, over time,
              with pruning.

              --
              Phlip
            • Snikerz standard