Re: [XP] Re: What do you think about parallel releases in a single project?

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 29, 2008
      Carfield Yim wrote:

      > Thanks a lot, this is very helpful. By the way, I am going to join
      > other team, with probably similar situation ( i.e. multiple branch
      > with a lot of merging :-/ ) . If I propose convert to have single
      > binary, any paper can help me prepare better to achieve that? I've
      > read about http://www.infoq.com/articles/agile-version-control
      > and planning to read this book http://www.scmpatterns.com/
      > Will you have any other suggestion?

      You might also want to take a look at a collection of "Agile SCM"
      articles at http://cmwiki.com/AgileSCMArticles - especially the ones on
      branching & merging, and release management (and one in particular on
      "Lean Branching")

      For managing a single binary with multiple possible configurations
      without resorting to branching, you'll want to look into techniques for
      what is often called "Variability Management", and is frequently
      mentioned in the same breath with Product-Line or Product-Family based
      engineering.

      For some basic resources as well as some advanced ones, take a peek at a
      recent blog-entry of mine on "Commonality and Variability Management" at
      <<http://blog.bradapp.net/2008/03/commonality-and-variability-management.html>>

      --
      Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>