Re: [XP] How is Agile doing TODAY?

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2008
      > How is the agile movement doing these days?

      Fine, thank you.

      > Has it moved forward?

      I think so. It oscillates between first principles and new tools, but seems to be generally progressing.

      > Are there still a lot of doubters out there?

      I hope so.

      > Has anything evolved out of agile?

      Tools move forward, techniques move forward, new variations appear and sometimes disappear. Nothing major that I know of.
      More and more CI, CT, Unit testing, planning, etc keep coming.

      > Most stuff I google (for/against) seem to be from 2005-2006.

      A lot of stuff from that period is still good. :-)
      There's a lot of blogging about agile, xp, etc. It's not quiet out here. Stuff keeps happening, transitions keep coming along. and of course this crazy mailing list keeps overflowing all available space and patience. I would feel safe saying there is anything but static inertia in effect here.

    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
        On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM, stedetro <stedetro@...> wrote:

        > How is the agile movement doing these days?

        Slight correction: Agile is not a movement. It's a process for developing
        software. From that point of view, Some have made it work, others haven't.

        Chris.

      • John Galvin
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
          It's doing better than the waterfall movement.

          stedetro wrote:

          > How is the agile movement doing these days? Has it moved forward? Are
          > there still a lot of doubters out there? Has anything evolved out of
          > agile?
          >
          > Most stuff I google (for/against) seem to be from 2005-2006.

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
            "Doing better" according to what metric? Adoption rate? Success rate?

            If one why not the other?

            Just curious although I doubt there will be anything more fruitful than
            a bunch of flame posts resulting from the question. It is an
            interesting question though.

            Matt

            P.S. I am not really interested in whether or not "it" is doing
            better... it is working for us which is the most important metric in my
            opinion.

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, John Galvin <jgalvin@...>

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
              On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:48 AM, John Galvin <jgalvin@...> wrote:

              > It's doing better than the waterfall movement.

              That's not a movement - waterfall is also a process for developing software.
              Some have had success with it, others haven't.

              Chris.

            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                Tim Ottinger wrote:

                >> Has anything evolved out of agile?
                >
                > Tools move forward, techniques move forward, new variations appear and sometimes disappear. Nothing major that I know of.
                > More and more CI, CT, Unit testing, planning, etc keep coming.

                We have also seen the emergence of Big Agile Up Front, a promising new doctrine
                that seeks to mire programmers in ceremonies thwarting tests, pairing,
                integration, and deployment. This is a big step up from the days of miring
                programmers in ceremonies thwarting emergent design...

                --
                Phlip
              • John Galvin
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                  Matt:

                  My response to the initial email wasn't serious ... it was sent with a
                  large helping of irony and meant to cause people to pause and realize
                  the ridiculousness of referring to anything as the Agile movement.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 5, 2008
                    > From: Phlip <phlip2005@...>
                    >
                    > We have also seen the emergence of Big Agile Up Front, a promising new doctrine
                    > that seeks to mire programmers in ceremonies thwarting tests, pairing,
                    > integration, and deployment. This is a big step up from the days of miring
                    > programmers in ceremonies thwarting emergent design...

                    The worst I've seen is "big expensive tools up front" in which companies prepare
                    for agile buy buying a lot of fancy, high-mechanism, high-ceremony tools especially
                    to help them not pair and not gather together in a shared space.

                    I've seen enough of that. Where is TSTTMPW when you really need it?

                  • Lance Walton
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
                      <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:
                      > That's not a movement - waterfall is also a process for developing software.
                      > Some have had success with it, others haven't.

                      I believe waterfall is a model, not a process. As a model, it kind of sucks for at least four
                      reasons.

                      1. It is an oversimplification (or at least the common presentation of it is). But then people
                      oversimplify Agile Methods too.
                      2. It is seductive. It's nice and simple and people can see how they already use that
                      sequence to solve all sorts of problems (or at least they believe that that's what happens
                      in their heads). People often say that it seems 'logical' but they don't investigate the
                      assumptions.
                      3. It flows the wrong way. It looks nice, doesn't it? At the end of each phase you can't help
                      but fall down to the next phase, under the influence of an infinite but gentle supply of
                      gravity. But software development is work, and work means going uphill. Have you tried
                      pushing water uphill? It doesn't like it. It's slippery stuff too.
                      4. See points 1 -3.

                      Regards,

                      Lance
                    • Ilja Preuss
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                        Chris Wheeler wrote:
                        > On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM, stedetro <stedetro@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> How is the agile movement doing these days?
                        >

                        > Slight correction: Agile is not a movement. It's a process for developing
                        > software. From that point of view, Some have made it work, others haven't.

                        I actually find "movement" to be a more accurate description than "process".

                        Cheers, Ilja
                      • Cory Foy
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                            Hello, Cory. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 10:04:07 AM, you wrote:

                            > Or, as Ron s wonderfully put it when I asked him "What is Agle?"
                            > - Awesome used to refer to the feeling when you were in the
                            > presence of God. Now it refers to a bagel that doesn't suck.

                            Note, please, that this line was stolen from Chet. :)

                          • Chet Hendrickson
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 6, 2008
                              awesome

                              --
                              Best regards,
                              Chet mailto:lists@...

                            • Scott Ambler
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "stedetro" <stedetro@...>
                                wrote:

                                > How is the agile movement doing these days? Has it moved forward? Are
                                > there still a lot of doubters out there? Has anything evolved out of
                                > agile?
                                >
                                > Most stuff I google (for/against) seem to be from 2005-2006.

                                The DDJ 2008 Agile Adoption Survey, ran in Feb, found a 69% adoption
                                rate amongst respondents. This is the same rate that we found last
                                year. My write up of the survey appears in the June issue of DDJ which
                                will be online the first week of May. At that time I will also be
                                posting the original questions, source data, and summary slide deck at
                                www.ambysoft.com/surveys/ as I usually do. The 2006 and 2007 surveys
                                are posted there already.

                                - Scott
                              • Wilson, Michael
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                                  As I am this very moment in the midst of eating a bagel that doesn't
                                  suck, I'm not sure I see the incongruity. ;)

                                  Sunday, April 6, 2008, 10:36:20 AM, you wrote:

                                  > Hello, Cory. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 10:04:07 AM, you wrote:

                                  >> Or, as Ron s wonderfully put it when I asked him "What is Agle?"
                                  >> - Awesome used to refer to the feeling when you were in the presence
                                  >> of God. Now it refers to a bagel that doesn't suck.

                                  > Note, please, that this line was stolen from Chet. :)

                                  > Ron Jeffries
                                  > www.XProgramming.com
                                  > Fear is the mindkiller. --Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

                                  --
                                  Best regards,
                                  Chet mailto:lists@...

                                  This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
                                  informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to
                                  be reliable, but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
                                  guaranteed. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
                                  or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
                                  transaction. Moreover, this material should not be construed to contain any
                                  recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any security. It may
                                  contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
                                  sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
                                  recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
                                  authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

                                  Securities products and services provided to Canadian investors are offered
                                  by ITG Canada Corp. (member CIPF and IDA), an affiliate of Investment
                                  Technology Group, Inc.

                                  ITG Inc. and/or its affiliates reserves the right to monitor and archive
                                  all electronic communications through its network.

                                  ITG Inc. Member NASD, SIPC
                                  -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
                                • Phlip
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                                    Chet Hendrickson wrote:

                                    > awesome

                                    >>> Or, as Ron s wonderfully put it when I asked him "What is Agle?"
                                    >>> - Awesome used to refer to the feeling when you were in the
                                    >>> presence of God. Now it refers to a bagel that doesn't suck.
                                    >
                                    >> Note, please, that this line was stolen from Chet. :)

                                    Did he parallel-evolve an old Doonesbury punchline, or just cite it?

                                    Someone dreams he met someone who died of Aids, and asks him what meeting God
                                    was like. "Like 'awesome', before it applied to pizza."

                                    --
                                    Gary Trudeau
                                  • Chet Hendrickson
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 7, 2008
                                      Hello Phlip,

                                      I stopped reading Doonesbury right after Nixon left office, so I am claiming independent discovery.

                                      chet

                                      Monday, April 7, 2008, 10:11:36 AM, you wrote:

                                      > Chet Hendrickson wrote:

                                      >> awesome

                                      >>> Note, please, that this line was stolen from Chet. :)

                                      > Did he parallel-evolve an old Doonesbury punchline, or just cite it?

                                      > Someone dreams he met someone who died of Aids, and asks him what meeting God
                                      > was like. "Like 'awesome', before it applied to pizza."

                                      --
                                      Best regards,
                                      Chet mailto:lists@...

                                    • Michael James
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 12, 2008
                                        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Chet Hendrickson <lists@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello Phlip,
                                        >
                                        > I stopped reading Doonesbury right after Nixon left office, so I am claiming independent
                                        discovery.

                                        > chet

                                        Chet, I've been crediting you with "We know less about the
                                        project today than at any time in the future." Please don't
                                        tell me that came from a Peanuts cartoon or something!

                                        --mj
                                      • Phlip
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 12, 2008
                                          Michael James wrote:

                                          > Chet, I've been crediting you with "We know less about the
                                          > project today than at any time in the future." Please don't
                                          > tell me that came from a Peanuts cartoon or something!

                                          The D quote I remember was from the late 1990s, long after Nixon left office
                                          (and before all his ghosts & spooks got back in!). Chet parallel-evolved it.

                                          And... Peanuts doing a project? The mind reels. All I can think of is Snoopy
                                          with his doghouse full of birds, having a meeting. Then they all go marching out
                                          with determined looks on their faces. Snoopy thinks: "There they go. Off to
                                          carry out their terrible plan. Someone should warn everyone!"

                                          Then he starts to fall back asleep. "Oh, well. They'll figure out sooner or later!"

                                          --
                                          Phlip
                                        • Phlip
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 12, 2008
                                            Michael James wrote:

                                            > Chet, I've been crediting you with "We know less about the
                                            > project today than at any time in the future." Please don't
                                            > tell me that came from a Peanuts cartoon or something!

                                            The D quote I remember was from the late 1990s, long after Nixon left office
                                            (and before all his ghosts & spooks got back in!). Chet parallel-evolved it.

                                            And... Peanuts doing a project? The mind reels. All I can think of is Snoopy
                                            with his doghouse full of birds, having a meeting. Then they all go marching out
                                            with determined looks on their faces. Snoopy thinks: "There they go. Off to
                                            carry out their terrible plan. Someone should warn everyone!"

                                            Then he starts to fall back asleep. "Oh, well. They'll figure out sooner or later!"

                                            --
                                            Phlip
                                          • arioch022000
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 12, 2008
                                              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ambler"
                                              <scottwambler@...> wrote:

                                              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "stedetro" <stedetro@>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > How is the agile movement doing these days? Has it moved
                                              forward? Are
                                              > > there still a lot of doubters out there? Has anything evolved
                                              out of
                                              > > agile?
                                              > >
                                              > > Most stuff I google (for/against) seem to be from 2005-2006.
                                              > >
                                              > The DDJ 2008 Agile Adoption Survey, ran in Feb, found a 69%
                                              adoption
                                              > rate amongst respondents. This is the same rate that we found
                                              last
                                              > year. My write up of the survey appears in the June issue of DDJ
                                              which
                                              > will be online the first week of May. At that time I will also be
                                              > posting the original questions, source data, and summary slide
                                              deck at
                                              > www.ambysoft.com/surveys/ as I usually do. The 2006 and 2007
                                              surveys
                                              > are posted there already.
                                              >
                                              > - Scott

                                              Still seems to be a lot of bias against agile from a lot of the
                                              project manager and business owners out there. At least in my
                                              experiences. I find it a lot easier to talk about lean and
                                              iterative approaches because these have gained acceptance in
                                              manufacturing, I know agile and lean are not exactly the same
                                              things, but the words just seem to resonate better sometimes, lots
                                              of people seem threatened by agile. There's a lot of misperceptions
                                              about developers going crazy and running wild.
                                              That being said, a Canadian CIO quarterly just came out that had a
                                              story about how the Bank of Montréal just finished a $60 million
                                              project using agile approaches. So agile development
                                              is definitely becoming something to be reckoned with and is
                                              entering mainstream business language.

                                              Jeff Anderson
                                              http://agileconsulting.blogspot.com
                                            • Michael James
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 13, 2008
                                                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

                                                > And... Peanuts doing a project? The mind reels. All I can think of is Snoopy
                                                > with his doghouse full of birds, having a meeting. Then they all go marching out
                                                > with determined looks on their faces. Snoopy thinks: "There they go. Off to
                                                > carry out their terrible plan. Someone should warn everyone!"
                                                >
                                                > Then he starts to fall back asleep. "Oh, well. They'll figure out sooner or later!"

                                                Next Lucy will pull away the football, saying, "Sorry Charlie Brown.
                                                Your goal donor was not your gold owner."

                                                --mj