Re: [XP] "coaching coaching"

  • Victor
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
      One more thing to what has been said here.

      There is a common tendency for novice teachers/trainers to over prepare. Remember, the purpose of classes is that students learn, not for the teachers to show off how well they know the material. This should be reflected in the class plan. If the students are overwhelmed, they will not learn well. Good communication (which also means being a good listener) is of the essence. Minimize assumptions as to what they know by keeping a good dialog going. Arrogance and put downs are no-nos.

      I hope I didn't overwhelm anybody here. :-)

      Victor

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
        Mike, Victor, Cory...

        For Industrial Logic, I teach about a third of my work time, a figure
        that's held true for about the last ten years or so. (The second third is
        spent coaching, and the last spent developing course material for our online
        and in-person courses.)

        The advice being offered is great, and I'd like to add these elements:

        1. Don't teach what you don't care about. Communicating passion is often
        far more valuable than mere technical knowledge. Your students are
        grownups, *internet-capable* grownups, and they're perfectly capable of
        finding out more on any topic that they wish to pursue. At least half of
        your job is in sparking that wish.

        2. In teaching, the first step forward comes when you are able to stand in
        front of a room full of people and say "I don't know..." There are several
        variant endings, perhaps the best of which is "...let's find out." But the
        first three words are still key. Instead of thinking of yourself as the
        professor, think of yourself as the 'lead student'. The trust you garner
        will more than make up for any perceived weakness deriving from a frank
        admission.

        3. Watch your pupils closely. Look for the glaze, the lightbulb, the
        glare, the nod, the nodding off. All of these are ways to assess how
        effective your current take on a topic is. There are dozens of effective
        ways to communicate your ideas, and no one of them is right for every
        student, so be prepared to experiment, even radically, with your material.
        (When I teach for IL, I try one completely new experiment each week. Some
        flop, some soar.)

        It will help if you marry a master teacher, as I did. Failing that, at
        least befriend one. I would never have become a successful teacher without
        my many many daily debriefs with Virginia, my wife. She has convinced me
        over and over again of the importance of the above principles. She has also
        been an absolute fountain of weird and sometimes wildly successful ideas for
        engaging my classes.

        Cheers, and good luck, and above all, have fun!
        Hill

        <mike@...>
        Check out our advanced eLearning on microtesting: <
        http://industriallogic.com/elearning>

      • jay_conne
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
          Hi Mike,

          I have spent a large fraction of my four decades in this industry
          successfully developing, delivering and managing such training.

          Cory's advice below is great. To do this well require a thoughtful
          plan and practices - call me if you need some coaching in doing it.

          Here's a quick primmer...

          Start with knowing your goal for the class: Upon completing this
          training the students will be able to... (starting with verbs) - with
          as much detail as you think appropriate.

          Then develop a hierarchy of knowledge to get you there. This should
          include presentations of ideas, exercises to concertize those ideas
          and discussions to establish understanding and reinforce the ideas in
          the group or team.

          Remember - you are using valuable time - multiply an hourly rate by
          the number of people involved. Invest enough effort to make it worth
          the company's investment of that amount of salary and potential lost
          opportunity.

          Start the class with why people should care...

          "People are not interested in answers to a questions they don't have!"

          For example, I start my Lean/Agile/Scrum/XP Intro. classes or Project
          Team Start-up classes with evidence of how our historical approaches
          have failed, and get people to a clear YES on the history of
          self-deception we have endured. We acknowledge how painful that has
          been for all parties and then proceed to discuss a more same
          alternative. I use the line:

          "Humans deserve better!".

          To get past normal defensiveness in getting people to change long
          established habits, I think it is critical to make it humorous and
          fun. Get people laughing about how foolish *we* have been - and how
          painful it has been for all parties in the game as I said above.

          Here are some details -

          1. Milestones are critical for keeping the
          instructor/leader/facilitator on track as well as the
          students/participants. An agenda slide that repeats at transitions
          allows you and the class to track where they are on the path - in a
          Tufte style of visual presentation. I even color code the slide items
          to indicate what's done, what's next, and what's left.

          2. Think through the hierarchy of learning that the material
          requires. Get the dependencies nailed down. Understand how lecture,
          discussion and exercises reinforce the learning sequence. (This is a
          principle missed in much education of our children today based on
          incompetent ideas coming from John Dewey's theory of education -
          misnamed 'progressive'.)

          3. Using PowerPoint, I use the notes feature with this outline:
          Purpose, Points not to miss (Points:), Optional points (Opt:), and
          Transition. I do this to manage the attention of both the leader and
          the students to my training intention. In effect, I develop each
          course as a train the trainer tool. It serves me well if I'm only
          doing it for myself.

          Purpose: (What should the presenter have in mind as the goal for
          this piece of the presentation. Knowing your goal clearly at each
          step is critical to presenting naturally.

          Points: (What are the points not to miss - just key words as
          prompts to what you have to have already well thought out. This also
          keeps one from the common mistake of spilling your guts on everything
          you know on one slide. It's all about intentional focus.)

          Opt: (Notes on issues that may arise or filler for when you get no
          interaction that your timing is dependent upon.)

          Transition: (What do you want to say about the next slide before
          you distract the audience with reading the new one. Remember it's
          about managing the attention of your audience and yourself.)

          4. Exercises - get them off their butts and get them mentally
          active beyond the conversation in other activities. Know what
          principle the exercise dramatizes. Perhaps tell them before or let it
          be discovered. Change up the approach. Once you have their trust,
          they will play along in your game. A good exercise produces ah-ha's
          with fun. At the end of the class, I like to review a list of
          exercises and the principles they concertize. My expectation is that
          they will be able to remember these in the future to validate why the
          principle is valuable.

          5. Remember that all knowledge is contextual - know the context
          for each principle and practice you recommend. Know the boundary
          conditions. For example, the ides in the Agile Manifesto apply in our
          'discovery' context, but not in mass production discipline. Not
          understanding that distinction, in my opinion, is the heart of why we
          needed Agile.

          You can contact me off-list to discuss these ideas. I don't monitor
          this list as much as I wish I could as you can see from my delay in
          posting to your message.

          Jay Conne
          ==============================
          Lean/Agile Coach, Trainer and
          ScrumMaster-Practicing
          jay@... www.jconne.com
          617-776-0339 M:617-470-5038
          ==============================

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Cory Foy <usergroup@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > Wilson, Michael wrote:
          > > I'm steeped in the practices of XP and their derivation from Agile
          > > principles, so I think I'll be as covered as I can reasonably be
          as far
          > > as raw material goes. But the dynamics of multi-day (much less
          > > multi-week) training has got to have a number of basic "gotchas" that
          > > I'm going to run straight in to.
          > >
          > > Any advice on this? I confess I'm not quite sure what I'm asking for.
          > > It's just rather undiscovered territory.
          >
          > Multi-Day / Multi-Week training can be a bit overwhelming. In my last
          > position, I had to teach some extremely low-level courses that were
          > multi-day. Our workshop on Advanced .NET Debugging ripped the CLR apart
          > and even touched on assembly concepts - and was 4 intensive days for
          the
          > students. It was brutal.
          >
          > The key to a successful class has several elements:
          >
          > 1) You have to feel comfortable with the material. Not be an expert.
          > But be willing to look up things, discuss things, and follow through on
          > your research. You need to be the confident one, but also humble.
          >
          > 2) The course should have definitive goals and check points. People
          > should reach passes throughout the class where they can see that
          they've
          > learned something and gotten to the next level.
          >
          > 3) People need to be dedicated to the class. If they are in and out
          > all day, then it is disruptive for everyone involved.
          >
          > A book I'd highly recommend (outside of the ones already given) is
          _Even
          > a Geek can Speak_.
          >
          > Finally, I found the most successful classes I delivered were those
          > where the students had an action plan in mind and ready to go. They
          were
          > mapping the concepts we were discussing into their domains and
          > real-world situations. That's something that can really make a class
          shine.

          > And, of course, let us know how it goes!
          >

          > --
          > Cory Foy
          > http://www.cornetdesign.com

        • jay_conne
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
            lol - this certainly contrast with my posting.

            I agree with your points Victor.

            The trick is knowing what is appropriate preparing, out of respect for
            people's time, and what is over preparing :-).

            Like - "Postpone decisions until the last responsible moment."
            There's a lot of art in discovering that point.

            Jay

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Victor" <vmgoldberg@...>
            wrote:

            > One more thing to what has been said here.
            >
            > There is a common tendency for novice teachers/trainers to over
            prepare. Remember, the purpose of classes is that students learn, not
            for the teachers to show off how well they know the material. This
            should be reflected in the class plan. If the students are
            overwhelmed, they will not learn well. Good communication (which also
            means being a good listener) is of the essence. Minimize assumptions
            as to what they know by keeping a good dialog going. Arrogance and
            put downs are no-nos.

            > I hope I didn't overwhelm anybody here. :-)
            >
            > Victor

          • Wilson, Michael
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
              Thanks very much for all this everyone. There's an awful lot of really
              great information for me to wade through, I really appreciate it.

              I'm going to spend some time chunking through all of this and see if I
              can't cobble together an interesting digest.

              - Mike

              wrote:

              > One more thing to what has been said here.
              >
              > There is a common tendency for novice teachers/trainers to over
              prepare. Remember, the purpose of classes is that students learn, not
              for the teachers to show off how well they know the material. This
              should be reflected in the class plan. If the students are overwhelmed,
              they will not learn well. Good communication (which also means being a
              good listener) is of the essence. Minimize assumptions as to what they
              know by keeping a good dialog going. Arrogance and put downs are
              no-nos.

              > I hope I didn't overwhelm anybody here. :-)
              >
              > Victor

              This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
              informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to
              be reliable, but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
              guaranteed. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
              or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
              transaction. Moreover, this material should not be construed to contain any
              recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any security. It may
              contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
              sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
              recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
              authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

              Securities products and services provided to Canadian investors are offered
              by ITG Canada Corp. (member CIPF and IDA), an affiliate of Investment
              Technology Group, Inc.

              ITG Inc. and/or its affiliates reserves the right to monitor and archive
              all electronic communications through its network.

              ITG Inc. Member NASD, SIPC