Re: [XP] What to do when breaking down 5 stories takes a whole day?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 256 , Apr 2, 2008
      Kristoffer Roupe wrote:
      > George Dinwiddie wrote:
      >
      > Is this a new transition to Scrum? If so, who led the adoption and why?
      >

      > Yes George, we are in the transition into a more lean approach and it
      > was I plus another guy who tried to get it in. We started off like
      > most others, as a rogue mission in the development team, and are
      > since a couple of months trying to spread throughout the rest of the
      > company. The transition to scrum was initially brought up because of
      > vague and bad specifications, moving targets and generally no control
      > of what was done and why. Back then the development team was around 6
      > people and we are twice as many today.

      From your description, it appears to me that you still have some of the
      same issues of "vague and bad specifications, moving targets and
      generally no control of what was done and why." I get the impression
      that the Product Owner has not bought into the concept, but is trying to
      do the same as always in spite of whatever the development team does.

      My feeling is that getting buyin from the PO starts with understanding
      the PO's point of view, desires and disappointments. Yes, it's a slow
      road to fixing the problem, and it requires skills different from those
      used to write code. But unless the PO /wants/ to participate in making
      Scrum work, I think it will be very difficult to get him to write better
      user stories.

      - George

    • Niraj Khanna
      Message 256 of 256 , May 8, 2008
        Hi Unmesh,

        Sorry for not responding in over 1 month. We were away on vacation.
        > So to measure success or failure of "Agile" transition is to measure
        > if people are thinking for themselves, rather than blindly following
        > agile coach's advice and running behind agile buzzword. How can we
        > measure that?

        I think what you're describing maybe a symptom or practice of why some
        agile transitions "succeed" over others that "fail". I'm just
        interested in measuring whether it succeeds or fails. A secondary and
        more useful study would be "why do agile transitions succeed/fail".
        Finally, to be quite honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see "Blindly
        following agile manual" in either the "success" or "failure" camp. I
        think Ron has discussed practicing all the XP practices before
        deciding which ones to drop, but I can also see how practicing and
        applying practices without an understanding of expected benefits
        coulod lead to adoption failure.

        Thanks,
        Niraj.