Re: [XP] What to do when breaking down 5 stories takes a whole day?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 256 , Apr 1 10:59 AM
      Kristoffer Roupe wrote:
      > This is why I now ask you guys. Because I know that there's a lot of
      > people on this list that have more experience than me on
      > XP/Scrum/Agile/Lean etc. and I'm eager to know if there's some
      > "hidden tricks" out there that I could use.

      Kristoffer, I don't know any "hidden tricks," but a lot of the work I do
      is coaching people in the skills that make the work easier.

      You mention a lot of things in your post:
      - much time spent breaking stories in the planning meeting
      - working on multiple products at once
      - context switching
      - epic-sized stories
      - Product Owner missing the planning meeting

      It seems you know that these are problems. It seems that this knowledge
      may not be generally accepted in your company. So if you want things to
      change around these problems, it might be good to start with figuring
      out what are the perceptions (both of problems and of things that people
      want to maintain) of others in the company, including the Product Owner.

      Is this a new transition to Scrum? If so, who led the adoption and why?

      - George

    • Niraj Khanna
      Message 256 of 256 , May 8, 2008
        Hi Unmesh,

        Sorry for not responding in over 1 month. We were away on vacation.
        > So to measure success or failure of "Agile" transition is to measure
        > if people are thinking for themselves, rather than blindly following
        > agile coach's advice and running behind agile buzzword. How can we
        > measure that?

        I think what you're describing maybe a symptom or practice of why some
        agile transitions "succeed" over others that "fail". I'm just
        interested in measuring whether it succeeds or fails. A secondary and
        more useful study would be "why do agile transitions succeed/fail".
        Finally, to be quite honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see "Blindly
        following agile manual" in either the "success" or "failure" camp. I
        think Ron has discussed practicing all the XP practices before
        deciding which ones to drop, but I can also see how practicing and
        applying practices without an understanding of expected benefits
        coulod lead to adoption failure.

        Thanks,
        Niraj.