Re: [XP] Prediction, change and the $2.10 game.

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 5:06 AM
      Hello, John. On Tuesday, April 1, 2008, at 1:11:49 AM, you wrote:

      > "Aha!", I say, "So I can publish the minutes of your Monday morning
      > meeting on the web then...."

      > Splutter - splutter - splutter.

      > I love it.

      > Yet it is the answer to leading change in organizations....

      > Transparency and honesty.

      > How do you make people trustworthy?

      > By trusting them.

      Or, perhaps, by making them transparent against their wishes? Hmmm?

      If you don't have the courage to say what you think,
      there isn't much use in thinking it, is there?
      --Thomas Jay Peckish II
    • Brad Stiles
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 5:23 AM
        Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > Hello, John. On Tuesday, April 1, 2008, at 1:11:49 AM, you wrote:
        >
        >> "Aha!", I say, "So I can publish the minutes of your Monday morning
        >> meeting on the web then...."

        >> How do you make people trustworthy?

        >> By trusting them.
        >
        > Or, perhaps, by making them transparent against their wishes? Hmmm?

        Do you find that this approach actually works, or were you making a
        comment about John's implementation of that approach? I ask because
        whenever I've seen this tried, I've generally seen two outcomes. One is
        that it works, sort of, with some major back-pedaling on the whole
        "transparency" front. The other is that people become more adept at
        *appearing* transparent, while actually becoming more opaque.

        Brad
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 5:37 AM
          Hello, Brad. On Tuesday, April 1, 2008, at 8:23:28 AM, you wrote:

          >> Or, perhaps, by making them transparent against their wishes? Hmmm?

          > Do you find that this approach actually works, or were you making a
          > comment about John's implementation of that approach? I ask because
          > whenever I've seen this tried, I've generally seen two outcomes. One is
          > that it works, sort of, with some major back-pedaling on the whole
          > "transparency" front. The other is that people become more adept at
          > *appearing* transparent, while actually becoming more opaque.

          I have no reason to believe that this works. On the other hand, the
          kind of secrecy we are seeing today in the US government isn't
          working all that well either.

          In his book /The Transparent Society/, David Brin makes the point
          that all kinds of information about us all will be collected, and
          that the best treatment for it may not be to leave it in the hands
          of a "few" who will "protect" it.

          Perhaps this Silver Bullet will tell you who I am ...