The $2.10 Game

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 165 , Mar 27, 2008
      I want to try an experiment. I'll describe a game, and then ask you some
      questions. Your answers become the data for the experiment, and later
      (after at least 24 hours) we'll see what meanings we can make of it.

      I've run this experiment dozens of times in my workshops, and it's always
      enlightening for participants, especially me. I've never tried it online,
      and I'm intrigued about how it might go

      A few requests:

      First, please write down your answer to each question before reading the
      next question.

      Second, please post your answers (all together in one post) before you read
      anybody else's answers.

      Third, please hold your comments about people's answers until at least 24
      hours from the date of my post (the one you're reading now). I want to give
      some time before we start interpreting the data.

      Here's the game: I have two dollar bills and a dime. I flip the dime. If
      it comes up heads, I give you the dime and the two dollar bills. If it
      comes up tails, I keep the dime and the dollar bills. That's it. That's
      the whole game.

      Here is the first question:

      1. How much money would you pay me to play the game?

      I'll ask the other questions in subsequent posts.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 165 of 165 , Apr 25 4:23 PM
        On Mar 28, 2008, at 23:54 , Dale Emery wrote:
        > What specific answers did you take particular notice of? What
        > meaning do
        > you make of those answers? What meaning do you make of your /noticing/
        > those answers?

        I was struck by the "more than $1.05, I lose; less than $1.05, you
        lose; $1.05 and it's boring" answer, because it's the only one I saw
        that implied a goal of mutual satisfaction, whereas I was only
        concerned with my return on investment.

        I'm not sure what it means to have noticed that answer, except that it
        reminds me to think about both sides of a transaction, and not just one.
        ----
        Your guide to software craftsmanship
        2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice