Agile Usability Testing #2

  • John A. De Goes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2008
      Usability Test with UNA Demo Edition: User 2
      http://www.n-brain.net/usability.htm

      This second published usability test could be entitled, "When
      Usability Testing Goes Bad". Not because we didn't learn from the
      test, because we did.

      We learned that we successfully addressed many usability issues that
      we had previously discovered (feedback is critical, not just in agile
      development, but also in agile usability testing). We learned that
      some issues we were watching turned out to be real problems that need
      to be resolved. And finally, we discovered a few more usability
      issues, most of which we plan on correcting.

      So what went wrong? Quite simply: Even though the user was a software
      developer with some years of experience, he was not in our present
      target audience. Not by a large margin. Consequently, the user had
      *extreme* difficulty with some of the assigned tasks.

      From which we learned:

      1. Be more careful when recruiting usability testers (at least for the
      time being).

      2. Expand our target audience to include users like this one, since
      they represent a large share of the market.

      Regards,

      John A. De Goes
      N-BRAIN, Inc.
      http://www.n-brain.net