Re: [XP] How do you sell testing?

  • marty.nelson
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18 8:15 AM
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Massimo Manca <micronpn@...>
      wrote:

      > Jim Scarborough ha scritto:
      > >
      > > Say you have a measurable goal for software reliability, but lack
      the
      > > automated tests to measure against that goal. How do you sell upper
      > > management on paying for test automation?

      One of the business propositions of agile development is that it allows
      you to realize value more quickly, and closer to the time that that
      value is perceived as existing in the market place. This means that
      when enough features have been completed that the customers will begin
      paying for what has been created, you can begin to see return on the
      inverstment.

      Delivering this from a software development perspective requires that
      the software completed to date is fully, ready, done, etc. at each
      iteration end. Otherwise, there is some undetermined period before the
      product can be released, which means the advatange and agility has been
      lost.

      That being said, to be complete I must add that if your customer does
      not require the product to be without substantial defects, it may not
      be important to ship with testing.