Re: [XP] UA

  • Zhon Johansen
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
      Daniel Pupek wrote:
      > Acronyms can be good or bad. I put them into 2 categories. The good
      > category just makes typing and communicating faster; ASAP, DIY, YAGNI,
      > LOL. The bad category ; IBBM, CMMI, SCORM
      >
      > Acronyms in the bad category tend to be derived from convoluted,
      > overly descriptive names for nebulous things. In short....somebody was
      > too lazy to come up with an easy to remember moniker for something.
      > Thus, condemning it to be known only by it's acronym form.

      I alway like to have that third category: funny (and sad).

      When I first started learning ruby (and TDD), I wrote an acronymizer.
      It would look through unused, unread design documentation and replace
      any 3 - 10 repeated words with an acronym thus making the poor outdated
      design documentation even more obscure. While the resulting document
      impressed management, the poor employees who were asked to read the
      result didn't think it was funny.