Development planning

  • Massimo Manca
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      I would opinions and comments about this planning "strategy" that is
      required because the customer ask me to have a "traditional type" of offer.

      1. Requirements: sent by the customer in written form after one or more
      meetings with our technical team (we try to traduce this informations in
      user stories)
      2. Development requirement: our internal phase to understand what we
      need in terms of development tools and so on
      3. "Size/complexity" estimate: we used common practices to estimate the
      complexity of the problem; we also try to do a Pareto analisys
      4. Cyclic development strategy (iterations): estimate of iterations we
      will perform
      5. Resource estimate: we try to traduce size/complexity in effort to
      estimate the developing time
      6. Task/iterations planning: we try to traduce developing time in
      calendar time
      7. Defect estimate: it is our estimation based on historycal and
      complexity data
      8. Offer made.

      Of course our estimates can't be very accurate, they are expressed as
      prediction intervals at confidence level of 70% to 90% (I am not sure if
      I transalted well this terms from italian).

      I know that this may seem a strange situation, also I would prefer a
      different one but I have to deal with customers asking "predictions" in
      terms of time and money.