Re: [XP] Re: How is Scrum alienating the eXtreme Programming folks?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 324 , Mar 1, 2008
      On Feb 27, 2008, at 02:37 , Ola Ellnestam wrote:
      > Why is it always: "/You/ want us to do this or that"?

      As someone else notes, when people are told "do TDD" (for example)
      they might believe they shouldn't make these decisions for themselves,
      and instead, look to others to tell them what to do.
      > Are we as teachers, coaches or colleagues missing some kind of
      > motivational factor when we introduce new ideas, such as TDD for
      > instance.
      >
      > Wouldn't it be funnier if it was more along the lines: "I want to do
      > TDD, I just don't know how. Please show me" :-)

      I make a clear point in every class to tell my attendees that my goal
      is to show them how to do TDD, tell them how it helps me, and answer
      their questions, but not to try to convince them to do it. I let them
      know that I don't mind if they do TDD or don't do TDD when the class
      is over, but I ask them to give it a good try during the class. In
      every class, there is at least one skeptic on Monday who starts asking
      me "how do I do it?" questions by about Thursday.
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice
      Message 324 of 324 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hello, arioch022000. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 4:08:38 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Regardless, I think the folk at scrum half far more in common with
        > the folk who advocate XP, especially when compared to what I see
        > going on in many IT shops today.

        Yes. I think it's unfortunate that so many person-years have been
        wasted touting brand A over brand B. Might have made a difference.
        Maybe.

        Show me the features!