Re: [XP] Re: How is Scrum alienating the eXtreme Programming folks?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 324 , Mar 1, 2008
      On Feb 26, 2008, at 09:18 , Michael James wrote:

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
      > <jbrains762@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Unfortunately, those Scrum promoters that pooh-pooh XP's technical
      > > practices appear to claim, implicitly and perhaps unwittingly,
      > that an
      > > average working group of people can succeed without XP's technical
      > > practices.
      >
      > I agree this would be pretty disturbing if it were happening. But
      > everyone
      > I've observed advocating Scrum for software development also advocates
      > filling in the holes with XP.

      Perhaps, then, it's happening less frequently than it used to. I tend
      to say that, knowing nothing else, I use XP as a starting point.
      Within a week or two, it's pretty clear which practices cause which
      problems, and therefore where to start the lasting changes.
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      2005 Gordon Pask Award for contributions to Agile Software Practice
      Message 324 of 324 , Apr 6 1:50 PM
        Hello, arioch022000. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 4:08:38 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Regardless, I think the folk at scrum half far more in common with
        > the folk who advocate XP, especially when compared to what I see
        > going on in many IT shops today.

        Yes. I think it's unfortunate that so many person-years have been
        wasted touting brand A over brand B. Might have made a difference.
        Maybe.

        Show me the features!