Re: [XP] Re: refactoring

    Message 1 of 324 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hello, aacockburn. On Saturday, March 1, 2008, at 1:56:24 PM, you
      wrote:

      > I'm suggesting that there is likely to be a moment when you stare at
      > the system and suddenly realize you're faced with a major
      > refactoring, not the usual little ones.

      > IIRC, you have seen this several times yourself and even posted about
      > it. Am I misremembering? Has this never happened to you in the last
      > dozen years?

      It is possible to get arbitrarily far from a good design, but only
      by maintaining the code without cleaning it for an arbitrarily long
      time.

      It is sometimes possible to have gone for a long time with a "bad"
      design, but by and large this is uncommon.

      And ... it seems to me that there is no such thing as a "major
      refactoring". There are certainly ways of tearing a system apart so
      that it cannot be put back together but as far as I can tell we can
      proceed from any point of design to any other, incrementally.

      Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick
      Message 324 of 324 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hello, arioch022000. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 4:08:38 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Regardless, I think the folk at scrum half far more in common with
        > the folk who advocate XP, especially when compared to what I see
        > going on in many IT shops today.

        Yes. I think it's unfortunate that so many person-years have been
        wasted touting brand A over brand B. Might have made a difference.
        Maybe.

        Show me the features!