Re: [XP] Re: refactoring

    Message 1 of 324 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hello, aacockburn. On Saturday, March 1, 2008, at 11:14:16 AM, you
      wrote:

      > whereas what I'm talking about is that the system drifts over time as
      > new requests come in, until it is no longer the same system it was at
      > the start, so you couldn't likely have seen it coming ... that is no
      > longer a breakthrough, it's a catastrophe :)

      Isn't the point of refactoring to drift the design as new requests
      come in, so that it is always a decent design for whatever the
      system currently is?

      Design is the thinking one does before, during, and after
      implementation. It works best for me with a little up front, most of
      it during implementation, and very little after it's too late.
      Message 324 of 324 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hello, arioch022000. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 4:08:38 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Regardless, I think the folk at scrum half far more in common with
        > the folk who advocate XP, especially when compared to what I see
        > going on in many IT shops today.

        Yes. I think it's unfortunate that so many person-years have been
        wasted touting brand A over brand B. Might have made a difference.
        Maybe.

        Show me the features!