Re: [XP] UA

  • Manuel Klimek
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
      On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Steven Campbell <dukeytoo@...> wrote:
      > Alistair beat you in coining the GUTs acronym by a mere 2 days!

      To clarify: I stole that one from Alistair. I didn't cite it since I
      thought that most people would know it.

      Sorry,
      /Manuel

      --
      http://klimek.box4.net
    • Manuel Klimek
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
        so I'm back at the beginning: why do people like to abuse acronyms and
        abrevations in code? Or think it's funny to name a scroll pane class
        ScrollPain?

        Perhaps a better question for this forum is: what do you do when you
        encounter such people?

        /Manuel

        http://klimek.box4.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hello, Manuel. On Saturday, March 1, 2008, at 4:03:20 AM, you
          wrote:

          > so I'm back at the beginning: why do people like to abuse acronyms and
          > abrevations in code? Or think it's funny to name a scroll pane class
          > ScrollPain?

          > Perhaps a better question for this forum is: what do you do when you
          > encounter such people?

          Rename Class refactoring.

          Design is the thinking one does before, during, and after
          implementation. It works best for me with a little up front, most of
          it during implementation, and very little after it's too late.
        • Manuel Klimek
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
            On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Ron Jeffries
            <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
            > > so I'm back at the beginning: why do people like to abuse acronyms and
            > > abrevations in code? Or think it's funny to name a scroll pane class
            > > ScrollPain?
            >
            > > Perhaps a better question for this forum is: what do you do when you
            > > encounter such people?
            >
            > Rename Class refactoring.

            :-)

            /Manuel

            > Ron Jeffries
            > www.XProgramming.com
            > Design is the thinking one does before, during, and after
            > implementation. It works best for me with a little up front, most of
            > it during implementation, and very little after it's too late.

            --
            http://klimek.box4.net
          • Richard
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
              ScrollPain is not so bad. I just apply Rename to it when I see
              something like that. I recently renamed XXXConsummationStopped to
              XXXConsumptionStopped. They didn't know that consumption goes with
              consume and not consummate. I just fix it. Unclear acronym usage in
              identifiers is treated the same was as a name that doesn't reveal its
              intention: you rename it. I leave commonly understood acronyms
              inplace: I don't rename xmlDocument to extensibleMarkupLanguageDocument.

              I do often find myself in a quandary about the capitalization of
              acronyms when they begin a word that would normally start with a lower
              case letter. Do you write xmlDocument or xMLDocument or further muddy
              the watters with XMLDocument, even though its supposed to be variable
              name and not a class? If its a class do you write XMLDocument or
              XmlDocument? Do you write HTTPServer or HttpServer? Different people
              have done different things, even within the same code base. If the
              capitalization scheme was all over the place to the point where it
              generated confusion, then I'd propose a rename discussion with the
              team to bring the capitalization into a uniform usage.

              In article <d2d148c0803010103l16884715r6dcb051725279dae@...>,
              "Manuel Klimek" <klimek@...> writes:

              > Perhaps a better question for this forum is: what do you do when you
              > encounter such people?

              For people who use acronyms, you might just consider having a talk
              with them. For people who intentionally pick "cute" names that reveal
              no intention on classes, you give them a warning and if they don't
              start creating useful names, you fire them. I worked at a place where
              they fired an engineer (not for this, but its just indicative of the
              kind of work he did) who named classes Sybok, Spock, Kirk, etc.

            • Zhon Johansen
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                Daniel Pupek wrote:
                > Acronyms can be good or bad. I put them into 2 categories. The good
                > category just makes typing and communicating faster; ASAP, DIY, YAGNI,
                > LOL. The bad category ; IBBM, CMMI, SCORM
                >
                > Acronyms in the bad category tend to be derived from convoluted,
                > overly descriptive names for nebulous things. In short....somebody was
                > too lazy to come up with an easy to remember moniker for something.
                > Thus, condemning it to be known only by it's acronym form.

                I alway like to have that third category: funny (and sad).

                When I first started learning ruby (and TDD), I wrote an acronymizer.
                It would look through unused, unread design documentation and replace
                any 3 - 10 repeated words with an acronym thus making the poor outdated
                design documentation even more obscure. While the resulting document
                impressed management, the poor employees who were asked to read the
                result didn't think it was funny.