Re: Not Automating Tests - Was: How is Scrum alienating the eXtreme Programming folks?

  • aacockburn
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2008
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Mingins"
      <shane.mingins@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:06 AM, aacockburn <acockburn@...> wrote:
      > > The one that still is on the borderline for me is automated
      > > regression testing (not even TDD, just automated testing). I keep
      > > wanting to make it /necessary/, but I keep running
      > > into organizations
      > > not doing it, but delivering regularly anyway to content users
      > > and
      > > sponsors. I believe that as iterations get shorter, it gets more
      > > necessary, but as long as companies are only releasing monthly,
      > > they
      > > are still getting away without it.
      > >
      > > Alistair
      >
      > Are you referring to automating your customer tests?
      >
      > I would like to hear more on how they are getting away with it.
      > Is it
      > purely the fact that the monthly release allows enough time
      > for a team of people to manually test? Or other factors?

      Very many places I visit are using nUnit in some fashion, so unit
      testing is "under control", although code coverage is probably under
      10% by and large, and most of them run then only at their
      workstations, not as part of a build engine.

      I'm referring to anything that could possibly count as system test,
      function testing, user acceptance testing, etc. Rarest of all cases
      when I find any form of automated such tests, let alone run on the
      build cycles.

      How do they get away with it?
      You guessed right - a month is a long time. Which is why I speculate
      that automated regression testing becomes slowly "necessary" as
      the /delivery/ period (not iteration length) becomes shorter.

      Alistair