How is Scrum alienating the eXtreme Programming folks?

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 324 , Feb 20, 2008
      (I originally posted this on ScrumDevelopment. A couple
      people suggested posting here. --mj)

      ===================================
      I just went to a London XP pub night and met with a hardcore
      XP guy who claims to dislike Scrum. This wouldn't be notable
      except that it's happened before.

      I queried him on what practices he found useful, and it
      sounded a lot like Scrum to me, plus the engineering
      practices we usually recommend learning ASAP to
      avoid technical debt: (TDD, refactoring, continuous
      integration, pair programming....). He agreed that
      many teams fail to adopt these practices without
      a full-time mentor, learning them incrementally
      makes sense, and that Scrum is often the path
      people take to discover this.

      He also agreed with everything we've been
      talking about on this group: the importance of
      story "done" rather than task hours expended,
      getting the customer in the loop, fixed iterations,
      retrospectives.... I really couldn't find any
      contradiction with Scrum.

      As I see it, Scrum is XP's biggest ally. So where
      is this resentment coming from?

      --mj
      Message 324 of 324 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hello, arioch022000. On Sunday, April 6, 2008, at 4:08:38 PM, you
        wrote:

        > Regardless, I think the folk at scrum half far more in common with
        > the folk who advocate XP, especially when compared to what I see
        > going on in many IT shops today.

        Yes. I think it's unfortunate that so many person-years have been
        wasted touting brand A over brand B. Might have made a difference.
        Maybe.

        Show me the features!