RE: [XP] Agile Criteria was Re: Capers Jones article on Agile "compared to CMM 3

  • Matt Swaffer
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 1, 2008
      Does "less costly failure" == "success"? Everyone knows it's better to get
      out early than late if the ship is sinking, but to say that "Agile can't
      fail" because you got out early. well. the ship still sank right? If it
      were my ship I wouldn't call that a success. "Early failure" might be
      preferable to "Late failure" but like my racing buddies say. "Second place
      is First Loser". Being the best loser doesn't make you the winner.

      I guess to be very cynical, if all Agile has to offer me is 2nd place. I've
      been had.

      Matt

      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 4, 2008
        Jeff,

        Certainly learning early on that a project isn't going to succeed is a good
        thing. I didn't mean to qualify success as good or failure as bad. I meant
        to point out that the argument that "early failure == success" seems a bit
        odd to me.

        As for the "won" vs. "lost" dichotomy. do you feel the same way about the
        "success" vs. "failure" dichotomy? I for one am not a big fan of the
        current fad where we don't keep score at kid's soccer games because we don't
        want anyone to have to lose. I understand your point about rational
        decision making dealing with an ROI continuum rather than a red light /
        green light process, however ultimately the goal is success (however you
        might define that success!) It seems that lacking a clearly defined goal is
        more likely to lead to irrational decisions than defining a goal that
        includes "success". Certainly tools like weighted average cost of capital
        and projected ROI's, break-even points etc. are good for healthy decision
        making, but so is defining what success is for you before you get started.

        Matt