Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      On Dec 31, 2007, at 01:22 , Charlie Poole wrote:

      > Hi Ron,

      > > > I don't know what the velocity of either team is. If each team
      > > > estimated each of their stories as one point each, then yes.
      > >
      > > > What are the odds of that?
      > >
      > > Oh come on you guys. Same stories, all things equal except:
      > > one team does ten, other does twenty. However we calculate
      > > velocity, one will be twice the other, and the reason will be
      > > that they ARE twice as productive.
      > >
      > > One reason people ask for velocity is that in appropriate
      > > aggregates, it really does track productivity. Or so it seems to me.
      > > If this is true ... then what?
      >
      > Actually, since we measure quantity of work in terms of some estimate
      > velocity tracks a ratio. That doesn't make the statistic useless - for
      > our purposes of estimation it's quite useful. It just isn't the pure
      > measure that would normally be wanted by upper management.

      Right. Upper management might prefer something like profit/loss.
      Whoever figures out a good way to translate velocity into profit flow
      will make billions.
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus