Re: [XP] Software Reuse and Extreme Programming

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2008
      On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
      > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
      > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
      > into this idea.

      Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
      believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
      design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
      natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
      reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
      differently?
      ----
      Your guide to software craftsmanship
    • Scott Ambler
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
        <jbrains762@...> wrote:

        > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
        > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
        > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
        > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
        > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
        > differently?

        That's only true for low-levels of reuse -- code reuse, component
        reuse, ... Higher levels of reuse need support of enterprise-level
        activities such as enterprise architecture to promote a common
        foundation within the org and potentially even a product-line strategy
        to work to. Support for a reuse program is also critical to fund
        harvesting efforts, to help teams adopt reusable stuff, to support a
        asset repository, and so on. The EUP includes disciplines for both of
        these activities, plus supporting disciplines such as enterprise
        business modeling (arguably part of EA) and portfolio management. The
        EA discipline is summarized at
        http://www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com/essays/enterpriseArchitecture.ht
        ml and the reuse discipline at
        http://www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com/essays/strategicReuse.html .

        For the survey authors, I'd just like to point out that some work has
        already been done on this topic. Although the EUP is presented in
        terms of RUP, the fact is that as long as there's an evolutionary
        process for the development effort then you're good to go.

        - Scott
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hello, J.. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 9:53:19 PM, you wrote:

          > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
          >> We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
          >> Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
          >> into this idea.
          >>
          > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
          > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
          > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
          > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
          > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
          > differently?

          Chet and I have talked a lot with Gerry and a bit less with Vijay.
          I'm hopeful that people will fill out the survey and that something
          good will come from it.

          Their concern seems to be at a more broad level than the single XP
          team. As far as I know, there's nothing good out there that would
          bring about broad sharing of a corporation's code. As far as I know,
          XP will /not/ bring that about, because separate teams still do not
          share much in my experience. And, I think that one important
          question is what the economic model for reuse really is. It might
          pay off very differently from what some people expect.

          Anyway, I'm hoping they get some good data.

          Don't confuse more exact with better. -- Brian Marick
        • Gerald DeHondt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
            Hello J.B.,

            Believe that we are of the same mind. One of the caveats we are wary
            of within this model is that the reusable code must have been
            developed respecting the principles and practices of XP.

            One of the challenges with software reuse is identifying pre-existing
            code that will meet your needs in an efficient fashion. Simply
            stated, why recreate the wheel if a pre-existing component will meet
            our needs. It also needs to be identified quicker than "building it
            yourself".

            What we are attempting to do is search for a way that may improve
            reuse, and in turn improve the method integrating this approach.

            Appreciate your insight.

            Jerry

            <jbrains762@...> wrote:

            > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
            > > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
            Extreme
            > > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain
            input
            > > into this idea.
            > >
            > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
            > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
            > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is
            > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore,
            software
            > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you
            believe
            > differently?
            > ----
            > J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.ca
            > Your guide to software craftsmanship
            > JUnit Recipes: Practical Methods for Programmer Testing
            > 2005 Gordon Pask Award for contribution Agile Software Practice

          • Gerald DeHondt
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
              Hello Ricardo,

              The Repository may be a pre-existing code base or a shell to be
              populated. That is really less of an issue as ensuring that there
              would be a quality code base to draw from.

              Thank you,

              Jerry

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ricardo Mayerhofer
              <ricardo@...> wrote:

              > The step 1 starts searching reusable components in the reuse
              repository.
              > How the reuse repository is initially filled?
              >
              > Gerald DeHondt escreveu:
              > >
              > > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
              Extreme
              > > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain
              input
              > > into this idea. We are hoping to determine the value and
              > > applicability of this approach in corporate software development
              > > efforts and possibly determine the best approach to integrate
              Reuse
              > > into Extreme Programming.
              > >
              > > It is believed that properly integrating this approach into XP
              will
              > > enhance the overall methodology and speed the development process.
              > > One consideration is that the reusable components must be
              developed
              > > in accordance with the practices and principles of Extreme
              > > Programming in order to integrate appropriately into future
              projects.

              > > With this in mind, we are seeking input from the XP community to
              > > better understand how Software Reuse would integrate into this
              > > methodology and whether anything like this is currently in use.
              > >
              > > We would appreciate your time in completing a short, on-line
              survey
              > > to help validate our model and determine the value of this
              approach
              > > in practice.
              > >
              > > The survey is located at:
              > >
              > > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
              > > <http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm>
              > >
              > > Feel free to contact Jerry DeHondt (dehondt@...
              > > <mailto:dehondt%40oakland.edu>) or Vijay
              > > Sugumaran (sugumara@... <mailto:sugumara%40oakland.edu>) if
              > > you have any questions or would
              > > like any additional information.
              > >
              > > Thank you for your help.

            • Steven Gordon
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                The way some "non-agile" organizations attempt to find reuse
                opportunities is to create an architecture group (if it does not
                already exist) and include identifying reuse opportunities for
                projects whose architectures they are designing, leveraging what they
                know from having architected previous projects.

                Clearly, this approach will not work for agile software development,
                but I still believe the way to best solve the problem of identifying
                reuse candidates is to leverage people instead of technology.

                Suppose the agile organization creates an architecture group from it
                best developers, but instead of the group dictating architecture to
                the teams, these developers are spread among the teams to actively
                participate in development. They would spend some percentage of their
                time:
                - identifying potential candidates for reuse,
                - identifying potential clients for reuse,
                - cross-fertilizing the projects with architectural concepts by
                interacting with other members of the architecture group.
                Perhaps a wiki could be used instead of a "repository".

                Depending on the size of the organization and the expense that the
                organization is willing to spend on reuse and architectural
                cross-fertilization:
                - there might be one member per team (or one per N teams, where the
                member rotates among those N teams),
                - the percentage of time devoted to reuse/architectural overhead might
                be anywhere from 5-50% for each member (above 50% and there is a
                danger that these "architects" will lose touch with development
                becoming the type of architects we find too often in "non-agile"
                organizations).

                Steve Gordon

                On Jan 2, 2008 10:22 AM, Gerald DeHondt <gdehondt@...> wrote:

                > Hello J.B.,
                >
                > Believe that we are of the same mind. One of the caveats we are wary
                > of within this model is that the reusable code must have been
                > developed respecting the principles and practices of XP.
                >
                > One of the challenges with software reuse is identifying pre-existing
                > code that will meet your needs in an efficient fashion. Simply
                > stated, why recreate the wheel if a pre-existing component will meet
                > our needs. It also needs to be identified quicker than "building it
                > yourself".
                >
                > What we are attempting to do is search for a way that may improve
                > reuse, and in turn improve the method integrating this approach.
                >
                > Appreciate your insight.
                >
                > Jerry
                >

                > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "J. B. Rainsberger"
                > <jbrains762@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
                > > > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
                > Extreme
                > > > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain
                > input
                > > > into this idea.
                > > >
                > > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
                > > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
                > > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is
                > > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore,
                > software
                > > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you
                > believe
                > > differently?
                > > ----
                > > J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.ca
                > > Your guide to software craftsmanship
                > > JUnit Recipes: Practical Methods for Programmer Testing
                > > 2005 Gordon Pask Award for contribution Agile Software Practice

              • Ricardo Mayerhofer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008

                  Gerald DeHondt escreveu:

                  > We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the Extreme
                  > Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
                  > into this idea. We are hoping to determine the value and
                  > applicability of this approach in corporate software development
                  > efforts and possibly determine the best approach to integrate Reuse
                  > into Extreme Programming.
                  >
                  > It is believed that properly integrating this approach into XP will
                  > enhance the overall methodology and speed the development process.
                  > One consideration is that the reusable components must be developed
                  > in accordance with the practices and principles of Extreme
                  > Programming in order to integrate appropriately into future projects.
                  >
                  > With this in mind, we are seeking input from the XP community to
                  > better understand how Software Reuse would integrate into this
                  > methodology and whether anything like this is currently in use.
                  >
                  > We would appreciate your time in completing a short, on-line survey
                  > to help validate our model and determine the value of this approach
                  > in practice.
                  >
                  > The survey is located at:
                  >
                  > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                  > <http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm>
                  >
                  > Feel free to contact Jerry DeHondt (dehondt@...
                  > <mailto:dehondt%40oakland.edu>) or Vijay
                  > Sugumaran (sugumara@... <mailto:sugumara%40oakland.edu>) if
                  > you have any questions or would
                  > like any additional information.
                  >
                  > Thank you for your help.

                • Scott Ambler
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008

                    > The step 1 starts searching reusable components in
                    > the reuse repository.
                    > How the reuse repository is initially filled?

                    This is actually a serious issue in practice. There
                    are several basic strategies for getting reusable
                    assets into a repository:
                    1. Building something to be reusable. This is
                    possible although fraught with peril. To pull this
                    off you have to be pretty good at predicting what
                    people will need. Having a reasonably
                    common/enterprise architecture in place helps this
                    strategy.
                    2. Harvesting existing stuff. Someone may have built
                    something which is specific to their own needs but
                    with a bit of work it can potentially be made
                    reusable. To make this strategy work you pretty much
                    need to fund the extra work outside the scope of the
                    current project AND fund the work to reintegrate it
                    back into the original system once the reusable
                    version is available. The reintegration effort
                    ensures that at least one team will reuse whatever it
                    is that you've harvested.
                    3. Purchase/download. There's a lot of reusable stuff
                    out there already in the marketplace. Smart orgs will
                    fund the effort to obtain these things. Even if the
                    reusable item is "free" you still need to fund the
                    effort to obtain and then support it. This is
                    basically a specialization of #2.
                    4. Free-for-all. Let pretty much anyone put anything
                    that they want into the repository. The challenge
                    with this approach is that you'll end up with a lot of
                    junk that people really aren't interested (a good rule
                    of thumb is that something is reusable only after it's
                    been reused at least three times by three different
                    teams). You can have some sort of gatekeeper on the
                    respository who reviews material before it goes in and
                    thereby avoid the obvious junk.

                    Strategies #2 and #3 are the best ones IMHO. #1 is
                    doable although usually requires significant maturity
                    (not in the CMMI misuse of the term) on the part of
                    the organization. #4 has the appearance of working in
                    the short term but will fail if you're not good at
                    culling the unwanted junk from the repository.

                    For reuse to work in practice you'll need to fund it
                    separately from normal projects. To make things
                    harder you'll also need to be able to fund this over
                    several years, a significant challenge because from
                    what I can tell a lot of IT organizations seem to have
                    the attention span of a 4 year old child. My article
                    at
                    http://www.enterpriseunifiedprocess.com/essays/strategicReuse.html
                    overviews the basics of running a successful reuse
                    program.

                    - Scott

                    Scott W. Ambler
                    Practice Leader Agile Development, IBM Methods Group
                    http://www.ibm.com/rational/bios/ambler.html
                    Agile at Scale: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/ambler

                    http://www.flickr.com/gift/
                  • Scott Ambler
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Steven
                      Gordon" <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

                      > The way some "non-agile" organizations attempt to
                      find reuse
                      > opportunities is to create an architecture group (if
                      it does not
                      > already exist) and include identifying reuse
                      opportunities for
                      > projects whose architectures they are designing,
                      leveraging what they
                      > know from having architected previous projects.

                      A lot of agile organizations also take this sort of
                      strategy. But they do it in a collaborative manner
                      instead of a command-and-control manner.
                      "Architecture" and "modeling" don't have to be dirty
                      words anymore. I've posted a few thoughts about agile
                      architecture at a project level at
                      http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileArchitecture.htm
                      and at the enterprise level at
                      http://www.agiledata.org/essays/enterpriseArchitecture.html
                      . The architecture folks can and should work in an
                      agile manner, IMHO.

                      > Clearly, this approach will not work for agile
                      software development,
                      > but I still believe the way to best solve the
                      problem of identifying
                      > reuse candidates is to leverage people instead of
                      technology.

                      Exactly. So leverage the architects instead of the
                      architecture models/documents.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2008
                        On Jan 2, 2008, at 06:51 , Ron Jeffries wrote:

                        > Hello, J.. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 9:53:19 PM, you wrote:
                        >
                        > > On Jan 1, 2008, at 14:58 , Gerald DeHondt wrote:
                        > >> We have proposed a model integrating Software Reuse into the
                        > Extreme
                        > >> Programming methodology and are conducting a survey to obtain input
                        > >> into this idea.
                        > >>
                        > > Why do you believe you need to integrate software reuse into XP? I
                        > > believe that software reuse is a natural consequence of effective
                        > > design and collective ownership, and I believe effective design is a
                        > > natural consequence of test-driven development; therefore, software
                        > > reuse is a natural consequence of practising XP well. Do you believe
                        > > differently?
                        >
                        > Chet and I have talked a lot with Gerry and a bit less with Vijay.
                        > I'm hopeful that people will fill out the survey and that something
                        > good will come from it.
                        >
                        > Their concern seems to be at a more broad level than the single XP
                        > team. As far as I know, there's nothing good out there that would
                        > bring about broad sharing of a corporation's code. As far as I know,
                        > XP will /not/ bring that about, because separate teams still do not
                        > share much in my experience. And, I think that one important
                        > question is what the economic model for reuse really is. It might
                        > pay off very differently from what some people expect.
                        >
                        > Anyway, I'm hoping they get some good data.

                        Aha. That explains a great deal. I know what I counsel organizations
                        on the topic, but I don't want to skew any data, so I'll remain quiet.
                        ----
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                          <gdehondt@...> wrote:
                          <snip>

                          > The survey is located at:
                          >

                          > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm

                          I just responded to this survey and the following error was displayed:

                          [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect

                          /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128

                          - Scott
                        • John A. De Goes
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Perhaps it would have been better to reuse some pre-existing survey
                            software, instead of writing it from scratch? :-)

                            John A. De Goes
                            N-BRAIN, Inc.
                            http://www.n-brain.net
                            [n minds are better than n-1]

                            On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:

                            > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                            > <gdehondt@...> wrote:
                            > <snip>
                            > >
                            > > The survey is located at:
                            > >

                            > > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                            > >

                            > I just responded to this survey and the following error was displayed:
                            > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10'
                            >
                            > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect
                            >
                            > /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128
                            >
                            > - Scott

                          • Scott Ambler
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                              Ouch.

                              SurveyMonkey has always worked well for me, BTW.

                              - Scott

                              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "John A. De Goes"
                              <john@...> wrote:

                              > Perhaps it would have been better to reuse some pre-existing
                              survey
                              > software, instead of writing it from scratch? :-)
                              >
                              > John A. De Goes
                              > N-BRAIN, Inc.
                              > http://www.n-brain.net
                              > [n minds are better than n-1]
                              >
                              > On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:
                              >
                              > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                              > > <gdehondt@> wrote:
                              > > <snip>
                              > > >
                              > > > The survey is located at:
                              > > >

                              > > > http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm
                              > > >

                              > > I just responded to this survey and the following error was
                              displayed:
                              > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10'
                              > >
                              > > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect
                              > >
                              > > /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128
                              > >
                              > > - Scott

                            • Gerald DeHondt
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                                The survey appears to be working now.

                                Please feel free to complete and submit :)

                                Thank you for your help.

                                Jerry

                                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Ambler"
                                <scottwambler@...> wrote:

                                > Ouch.
                                >
                                > SurveyMonkey has always worked well for me, BTW.
                                >
                                > - Scott
                                >
                                > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "John A. De Goes"
                                > <john@> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Perhaps it would have been better to reuse some pre-existing
                                > survey
                                > > software, instead of writing it from scratch? :-)
                                > >
                                > > John A. De Goes
                                > > N-BRAIN, Inc.
                                > > http://www.n-brain.net
                                > > [n minds are better than n-1]
                                > >
                                > > On Jan 3, 2008, at 7:02 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald DeHondt"
                                > > > <gdehondt@> wrote:
                                > > > <snip>

                                > > > I just responded to this survey and the following error was
                                > displayed:
                                > > > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e10'
                                > > >
                                > > > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]COUNT field incorrect
                                > > >
                                > > > /sugumaran/survey/get_survey_data.asp, line 128
                                > > >
                                > > > - Scott

                              • Gerald DeHondt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                                  Hello,

                                  Wanted to bring this item back to everyone's attention. Have
                                  received some good discussion on this item and good feedback from the
                                  message board. Thank you to all who have shared insight.

                                  One of the critical items for our research is to have people fill out
                                  the following survey:

                                  http://w3.sba.oakland.edu/sugumaran/survey/reuse.htm

                                  If you could take a few minutes to provide insight into our idea it
                                  would be very much appreciated. If you are interested in seeing the
                                  results of this research feel free to send an email to Jerry DeHondt
                                  (dehondt@...) or Vijay Sugumaran (sugumara@...).

                                  Thank you for your help.

                                  Jerry