Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hello, John. Well put. On Tuesday, January 1, 2008, at 6:52:06 PM, you
      wrote:

      > It seems like there are two different ways of using
      > a productivity measure. One is competitively, the
      > other is as a simple measure of improvement.

      > Competitive use is, as far as I'm concerned, misuse.
      > It leads, almost inevitably, to gaming the numbers and
      > other types of organizational malfunction.

      > On the other hand, having a way to tell if change is
      > leading to improved productivity is not only useful,
      > it's necessary - otherwise you're shooting blanks in the
      > dark. I don't know if velocity is that measure; but for
      > local use it's probably not all that bad.

      Yes. It serves as a talking point, from which one can move on to
      what's really important.

      Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle.
      -- Bruce Lee
      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus