Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      On Jan 1, 2008 6:15 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

      > Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > > Hello, Steve. On Monday, December 31, 2007, at 11:29:28 AM, you
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Sure, that makes sense, but can you tie productivity
      > >> to another metric, or maybe a series of metrics that
      > >> contextualize velocity?
      > >
      > > I certainly don't know. Just wanted us to all keep in mind that the
      > > desire to track velocity likely comes from a desire to know
      > > something about productivity -- whatever that is.
      >
      > Personally, I muse over changes in velocity over time as a way to get
      > insights into the estimation stability of a team. So, while I'll dabble
      > with longitudinal comparisons, I think they're more closely correlated
      > to estimation than to productivity.

      I would think that increasing estimation accuracy would tend to only
      decrease the variance in velocity from iteration to iteration.

      My observation has been that:
      - a decrease in velocity for the same team most often indicates that a
      team has recently added to its definition of done.
      - an increase in velocity for the same team most often indicates a
      team that is learning to work together better.

      > I've never yet found a situation where I thought it useful to compare
      > velocity between teams.

      Agreed, although it could be useful to compare velocity trends.

      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus