Re: [XP] Don't let them see our velocity?

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 342 , Jan 1, 2008
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > Hello, Steve. On Monday, December 31, 2007, at 11:29:28 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Sure, that makes sense, but can you tie productivity
      >> to another metric, or maybe a series of metrics that
      >> contextualize velocity?
      >
      > I certainly don't know. Just wanted us to all keep in mind that the
      > desire to track velocity likely comes from a desire to know
      > something about productivity -- whatever that is.

      Personally, I muse over changes in velocity over time as a way to get
      insights into the estimation stability of a team. So, while I'll dabble
      with longitudinal comparisons, I think they're more closely correlated
      to estimation than to productivity.

      I've never yet found a situation where I thought it useful to compare
      velocity between teams.

      - George

      Message 342 of 342 , Feb 16, 2008
        Hello, Ilja. On Saturday, February 16, 2008, at 6:23:42 PM, you
        wrote:

        > I expect this to increase our velocity in the middle run. And I'm all
        > for measuring it.

        > I doubt we would have even tried this event if we had focused on
        > improving velocity.

        > How does that sound to you?

        Well, it sounds like it would take a pretty narrow set of ideas on
        how to improve velocity. In a discussion on that, I would hope that
        ideas like learning, better tools, higher morale, and better
        communication would come up.

        Anyone can make the simple complicated.
        Creativity is making the complicated simple. -- Charles Mingus